Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitAlex

Well that sux a whole LOT !

I install a W2K ... Create a Ghost image of it ... do smth else

then restore the ghost image

W2K boots properly, then shows the logon screen

I type my username and password, hit OK

Then it loads my preferences etc ... and then LOGS ME OFF RIGHT AWAY !!

So there's no way to stay logged on or even get to see the taskbar or something ...

Do you have any ideas over here ?

It only happends sometimes, not with all ghost images... If there is no way to fix it, it means I have to install the whole set of utilities compilers etc again :(

Try hitting <ctrl>+<alt>+<delete> as soon as it starts to log in...
Choose taskmanager and see if that stops it from logging you out...

If not, but you do get access to the taskmanager for a short while, try starting a program (mmc?) through it and see if that won't let you stay logged in....

Or you could try to log in as Guest (if the account is active), and start mmc as administrator from the guest account... Then you should be able to see if there is something being started that keeps you from being logged in...

Hope this helps...

well i tried that but it doesnt work at all, i mean i can't have access to anything !!!

(Sorry it's DA)

did you restore it to the same partition or to another partition ??

It may be the case that you have restored the image in such a way that the installed OS now thinks that it resides on a drive that has a letter that does not match the drive letter used for the OS when it was installed.

If this is the case, you should first try to restore the image to exactly the same partition as before.... certainly if it was the fifth partition on the disk, make sure its back to the fifth and not the first or the sixth, if you get what I mean.

If you have not changed partition since imaging then you maybe have corrupted SIDs... are you logging in as administrator? Can you start up and get in in safe mode?

Is your pagefile now on a different drive that it was before? That happened to me once when I had only one pagefile and I changed which drive it was on - then ghosted an old image back down. It didn't find the pagefile and it just kept logging me off.

LNCPapa

It has nothing to do about the pagefile.. at least not in my case. Even if it does not find any pagefile it creates a default one.

the problem was simply that if you change some partitions then the GUIDs associated with drive letters change and when you restore the ghost, the old invalid GUIDs are stored in the registry, so if you used D: to install, you must be sure D: is assigned to the partition you are restoring to !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back