Ghost Partition image help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a older 80 gig IDE hard drive that has 2 partitions.
1st one is my windows xp install and the
2nd partition has my ghost images that I made of the 1st.

Well the 1st partition will no longer boot either MBR issue or Registry issue. So I got a new drive a 160gb SATA drive and installed it. I booted up with the Windows xp disk and fdisked the new drive and formatted it. I then rebooted with a ghost cd and did a install partition image and found the image on my old drive and told it to install it on my new drive. It worked installed fine so i shut the computer off unplug my old drive and leave my new sata drive plugged in and reboot. Nothing happens I get a black screen that says bootable media required please locate a bootable device. How can I get my image to work on my new drive? Do I need to boot up with the Windows XP CD again and do a repair install?

Please HELP this is my media PC

jradams said:
I have a older 80 gig IDE hard drive that has 2 partitions.
1st one is my windows xp install and the
2nd partition has my ghost images that I made of the 1st.

Well the 1st partition will no longer boot either MBR issue or Registry issue. So I got a new drive a 160gb SATA drive and installed it. I booted up with the Windows xp disk and fdisked the new drive and formatted it. I then rebooted with a ghost cd and did a install partition image and found the image on my old drive and told it to install it on my new drive. It worked installed fine so i shut the computer off unplug my old drive and leave my new sata drive plugged in and reboot. Nothing happens I get a black screen that says bootable media required please locate a bootable device. How can I get my image to work on my new drive? Do I need to boot up with the Windows XP CD again and do a repair install?

Please HELP this is my media PC

You can't ghost from an IDE to a SATA drive you can however ghost from a SATA to an IDE, reason is to use a SATA you need to load drivers during the Windows install, as these are not present on the ghost image you are getting the "No boot disk error".

Cant you just ghost your image back onto the 1st partition or reinstall XP on the SATA drive and copy any data from the IDE.

Lastly have you tried repairing the old drive by booting from the XP CD and choosing the Auto repair function or simply doing an over the top install.

Regards

Thanks

I was able to install windows ontop of the imaged windows and got it to boot but nothing works as excpected but at least i can install some software to burn my programs and then I will just reinstall a clean windows and make anotehr image of my SATA drive.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back