Gigabyte boards and Creative chipsets

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post, and I'm not a tech...please disregard my obvious shortcomings in explaining myself as succinctly as the rest of this group. :)

I had a Gigabyte 7VRXP board until is APPARENTLY broke down (I haven't tested it yet) and got it replaced with a KM400-M2. I'm told through my sister's friend that it's much crappier.

Anyways, I've got an empty slot at the back of my computer where I swear I had a soundcard, specifically a Creative Soundblaster Live 24-bit card. I was told by my sister's friend that it might not have been replaced due the size of the current motherboard.

The tech I brought my computer to swears she wouldn't have forgotten to put it back it if I had one. I asked for the "broken" motherboard back, which she still has, and she mentioned that it says "Creative" on the board. Now, I'm not a tech, but the Gigabyte board does have a Creative chipset, if I'm interpreting the info in the link correctly. http://www.soundblaster.com/products/live24bit/gallery.asp

I have the Creative software under my Programs folder, but clicking on it gives a popup saying the hardware and/or drivers are missing/unavailable, or something to that effect.

I have to go pick up my old motherboard on Monday, and I'm worried about arguing with her about my missing soundcard...it's hard to fight fire with fire when I don't have the necessary background info to debate with.

Any help you can give me would be greatly, greatly appreciated...I'm so up to my ears with anxiousness. I'd be willing to go the way of filing a complaint to the BBB if I actually have a case (if you all say I do).

Thanks for listening....sorry for the length.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The soundblaster live 24bit soundcard plugs into a pci slot on the motherboard.

It is not and never has been onboard sound.

If your sure that this is the soundcard you had then it seems obvious that someone has taken it out.

Yes your old mobo does have creative onboard sound but it`s deffinitely not the soundblaster live 24bit.

Your old mobos onboard sound is Creative CT5880 PCI sound controller

Regards Howard

:wave: :wave:

Ps Please see picture of a soundblaster live 24bit card.

Thanks Howard for the great info! It seems that I may have had a dedicated soundcard since I see where it would've been added, and now there is empty space.

However, some facts I've been able to mull over may lead me to believe that I could have either had that dedicated sound or used the onboard sound instead.

Fact 1: My original receipt for my computer does not mention a purchased Soundblaster card. Again, this was built by an acquaintance, so whether it was purchased or complimentary, hard to say.

Fact 2: The empty slot at the back of my computer, below the audio ports. Would this be empty if I didn't have a dedicated card? Why is it now? By empty, I mean I can actually stick my fingers into my tower.

Fact 3: I didn't have any sound after she replaced my motherboard. I was unable to detect any devices, until I installed the Realtek off the support CD that came with my new mobo.

Fact 4: (maybe the clincher). The User guide for The Creative software installed is unavailable due to not finding the hardware. BUT this user guide is a subfolder of a folder titled "Soundblaster PCI128". Is this the same/associated with the Creative CT5800 PCI sound controller you're referring to on my old mobo?

The last Fact seems to "confirm" using the onboard sound, which isn't the the soundblaster 24-bit I thought I had. Again, I think I could have still had a separate card, as it's not unusual to forego onboard sound in lieu of a dedicated card. But I have no software to support a dedicated card. This could be Fact 5, if you will.

It's still a mystery to me...and I'm going to have to figure out still if there was a card there or not. Does all this extra info clear the picture at all?

It seems to me reading what you have said that in all likelyhood you have in fact been using onboard sound.

That said only you really know what was in your system.

If you are not 100% sure then I would suggest that you leave things as they are.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Vegas...in regards to where I plugged in my audio, I honestly cannot remember. Right now, I've had to plug it in the default position near the printer port, but I don't remember there being an empty slot there before, hence why I'm thinking I plugged into the card. My hunch is that I plugged it into whatever was in the slot.

I was told by the tech that my mobo has the word "Creative" on it. I'm picking it up tomorrow so I'll have a better look at it. i've done extra research on the card I think I might have had. It was a Soundblaster, but not the 24bit I thought I had. I actually had the Soundblaster PCI 128, which is an actual audio card that would go in the expansion slot and I was not using the onboard Creative sound controller. Is this sound controller the only thing needed to access the onboard sound? Why do I have a folder titled "Soundblaster PCI 128" if I actually ran a CT5800 sound controller which is found on my old mobo? Can this software operate the chip on the GA mobo?

I'm going to argue that I had this card, since I have the software for it. If she argues it, I'm going to have to try and take further action, unless I can be convinced otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back