Gigabyte GA-M55s-S3 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings all!

There's nothing like a problem to encourage joining a forum and this is no exception.

I am currebtly trying to "upgrade" my computer by installing a Gigabyte GA-M55S-S3 mobo with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 AM2 processor and 4Gb of DDR2 PC2-6400 RAM. Everything seems OK for about one minute and then the power just cuts out. It's as if the processor has overheated but surely not in one minute (the fan is working).

All suggestion greatefully accepted

Have you properly installed the CPU heatsink using a small amount of thermal paste? Are your bios temp shutdown settings correct?

Sweet power supply BJ

Many thanks - I have now installed a 500W power supply and reseated the processor with some thermal Paste (to add to the "built-in" thermal compound that the processor manual claimed to exist - all is now sweetness and light.

Thanks again people :)

Hi HL,

Heavy Lift said:
I have now installed a 500W power supply
if it's another generic PSU than it's no better than your old one. the stated wattage doesn't matter. what brand and model PSU did you buy?

Heavy Lift said:
and reseated the processor with some thermal Paste (to add to the "built-in" thermal compound that the processor manual claimed to exist
you should never just add more compound. the purpose of thermal compound is to make up for irregularities/imperfections in the CPU (or the CPU's IHS) and the heatsink. you only need a very thin layer, putting too much compound on will reduce the effectiveness of the compound. anytime you remove a HSF from a CPU, you should thoroughly clean all traces of the old compound/paste/pad (from both the HS and CPU) with isopropyl alcohol before applying any new compound.

cheers :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back