Gigabyte MOBO & Pentium 4 EE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I just got the Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 and tried to install it with my Pentium 4 Extreme Edition, which says it should be compatible on the gigabyte website. The motherboard will turn on, won't even post and shut down real quick. Repeat. Then using another processor with the mobo it works fine. So maybe it's the processor? No, the processor works fine with a different motherboard. Anyone have a clue? Thanks.

those things run hot I do know that much. I know that I can overclock better on one board than the other I have, I think it might be due to temperature standards for certain mobos.

lol or maybe it just might not be compatible how it reads

Did you update the BIOS to a version that supports the P4 EE? Check to make sure that the BIOS version you currently have on the mobo supports the P4 EE.

The issue im seeing is how can he update a bios or change the boot order for a new bios if it starts up for 2 seconds then turns right off? /correct me if im wrong here please

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own. ;)

zakaveli9 said:
...Then using another processor with the mobo it works fine.

That's how :)

An equally likely culprit is what supersmashbrada suggested: heat. The P4 EE was a rushed project and had a bad architecture. Make sure you fastened the CPU HSF cooler correctly.

Good luck. :D

its crazy how the answers to our own questions are in front of us. thx for that insite. I knew nothing about computers a year ago, just new how to input my CC info andd order from HP/Dell and now because of useful information like this i recently put together my first system with no problems still to this day

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own. ;)

The problem for you is that there are several revisions of the GA-965P-DQ6. So the first thing you should do is identify which revision you have. Then download the BIOS update for the appropriate revision and try the steps posted by Grafficks as well. Good luck and I hope it helps. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back