Gigabyte motherboard supported drives question

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

link590o

my build is just going all over the place. first i was going with an AMD setup, and then i wanted to upgrade this and that, and now i'm finding myself buying an intel setup.

i'm going to be getting an intel GA-P35-DS3L motherboard. i have a very important question about it in regards to will it work with my setup.

I have NO way of telling if my dvd rom drive is supported. when i power it on, and it flashes, the bios drivers need to have my dvd rom drive supported or it won't recognize it on startup. and when i try to install anything like an OS or something, i'm screwed so hard. so i need to know if an HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8162B drive will be supported and recognized. if it isn't, i'm stuck with having to buy a drive that IS supported.

Hum.. Pretty much all storage devices are universally supported on everything if we leave aside more exotic interfaces like SCSI/SAS or hardware glitches.

That's why we have those stadards called IDE and SATA for - to have things work.

i hope you're right. i'm just trying to be sure that the connectors will work, and so will my devices. because a non-recognizable drive is the last thing i need when i'm building my pc.

here's a basic rundown of what happened in the last few days.

i had a setup. i was going to buy an amd 6000+, 2 gigs of ddr2 800 RAM, a 500 watt antec earthwatts power supply, a gigabyte motherboard to hold the stuff, an enermax chakra case, and some fans and thermal compound. i planned on scrapping whatever other parts i needed from my old computer. peripherals, a hard drive or two, maybe some extra cables and connectors, and my dvd drive.

i wanted to get a second opinion on my build, so i went to my father. he programs microchips. so i figured he would be vastly more experienced in this sort of thing than me. i only have a basic idea of what's good and what isn't. and he started pointing out things left and right and told me to switch to intel and get another case.

at first i didn't want intel because i thought my build's price would sky-rocket. but i found with some tweaking that my new rig will actually be less expensive.

i'm buying an intel E6750, the gigabyte board i mentioned in my first post (the p35), a Cooler Master case that comes with 3 120mm fans, the same power supply, the same ram, and the thermal compound. and all that comes to $489.93 bucks. whereas my previous AMD build ended up being somewhere in the 525 range.

at any rate. i just wanted to be sure that when i put all these parts together that it will function well, and all my parts will be recognized. and since you say yes, then i only have one more question.

given that i'm buying a whole new rig, that may suggest i need a new operating system. but i'm not sure if i need one or not. the End User License Agreement from microsoft says that you can transfer your copy of XP to another workstation as long as you delete it completely from the old one. it can't be running on two physical processors at once. that to me suggests i can simply plug my hard drives into the new machine and all should be well. but some say that if you buy another motherboard or processor or whatever, you need a new license.

can anyone confirm this?

Depends on which version of XP you have. An OEM version of Windows that comes with a computer is tied to that computer (the product key sticker is literally stuck the machine). You are not allowed to transfer the OS. You could "upgrade" that machine by replacing all the parts but the case, but that would already be semi-illegal.

If you have a retail copy of XP (came in a box and a with separate product key), then you can move that from one computer to another no problem.

A hard drive connected to a motherboard and processor different to that when it was first installed will not work - the OS will detect the change and stop. You can get around this by running the OS repair tool which should restore the OS files without damaging the rest.
The only complication you might get with connections for the CD/DVD drive are if the motherboard is SATA only and you have a PATA CD/DVD - or vice versa.

ok. well in that case, i think i'm all set with the OS. what happened was i bought this dell...it's a dell dimension 2400. it came with its own restore disc and OS and what not. but one day my restore disc disappeared. and i was having serious virus problems. so my parents got me a version of windows XP professional sp 2. which is retail, and therefore, not tied to the machine so i can just move my hard drives and install it and what not.

honestly i could care less if i reformatted. so i think i'll do that and just start over. besides...any and all tweaks i've done i can easily do again if devoted enough. it just takes a little while to get everything setup the way i want it. what with downloading all my apps again, and finding a background and all that other crap. it's not hard. and i currently don't have anything on here that i can't just move to a USB drive and transfer later anyway. so...either way, i'm pretty much set.

as for what connection my motherboard and logically my dvd drive and hard drives have, they're PATA. and looking at the p35, it has only 1 ide PATA ports. so i think i has me a problem. i need to find one that has PATA ports, or i need to find a hard drive that has sata connectors. because there are a lot more of those then there are of pata connectors.

looks like i'm getting an nforce 650i sli board....

Dang your build changed drastically. What did you dad tell you that would make it cheaper? You don't have to tell me but I was curious. :)
I pefer AMD just cuse you can get the dual core CPUs for cheaper than Intel ones. (I think :) ) But the next build I do (if I have enough money) I want to get the q6600 for a CPU, which would be sweet.

well in the meanwhile, it is now almost exactly the same price. with my last setup, i was buying a case with only 1 fan. so i had to buy 2 extra fans on the side. and shipping costs were amazingly high for the whole setup. almost half the items had a shipping cost. with a different case that already has 3 fans for the same price as the case with 1 fan, the price dropped dramatically.

meanwhile, the price has gone up to about the same if not somewhat more than my last build because i had to switch out my first intel board, the p35, out for a board that had more PATA slots for my dvd drive and hard drives. from my last post, as you can tell, i'm going with the nforce 650i. a much better board.

the total AT THE MOMENT, is hovering at about 529 dollars or so. that is without shipping costs. the reason? the case i now want is out of stock and i can't get an accurate price yet. and in the meanwhile, i also added the 8800gt to my list and that brings the price without shipping to 799 or so.

but i think i may end up just waiting to buy the gt until my birthday or something, and getting everything else first. so consider the rounded down price about 529 dollars. assume about 15 dollars shipping, and the max it'll probably hit is about 550 dollars.

and i WISH i could get a q6600. that thing is a good 80 dollars more expensive than the e6750 i want.

but hey. the e6750 offers a tremendous boost in performance, even over the 6000+. and that's good enough to win my dollar.

as for the stuff my dad was biznatching about...he kept telling me that i over engineered it. he said i didn't need a 500 watt psu, i didn't need a computer case with a 250mm fan, that it would be too loud, wanted me to go with quality and talked me into going with intel despite the price, warned me about the potential problems of compatibility with my dvd drive and hard drives, and essentially told me to redesign it.

two things....1) this is my build. i'll buy whatever parts i wish with MY money. and 2) i REFUSE to buy anything less than the antec earthwatts 500 watt psu. i want quality and some overhead room in case i add stuff that's power hungry. like if i decided to go with a sli 8800gt setup or something.

with exception to the power supply, the thermal compound, and the memory, and the graphics card i chose, everything else was to be changed.

I would still go with AMD.
But its your build so go with whatever you like best. :)
Even still if you choose AMD or Intel it will still be a kick **** computer.

LOL it blocked the "b u t t" word. :D
That one, not the cuse word. :D

the sad thing is, i haven't been able to find a good gigabyte motherboard that's full ATX that hasn't had a good share of problems. besides, despite the price, i'll get a great boost in performance, and it'll be roughly the same price anyhow.

BY THE WAY. i saw some 8800gt cards for 250 bucks on amazon.com. check it out! i can't get one yet, but you guys can!

and just now, the cooler master case came back in stock. so the exact price of the whole thing, minus the GT is $534.93. considering i built an almost identical amd system which cost 524.55, that's pretty damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back