Give me the 411 on P4 L2 cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was preparing to buy a new P4 and had a quick question about 2mb L2 cache My question is does it have a big performance difference in gaming PC? would it be better to have 3.4 800 fsb 1 mb L2 or a 3.0 800 fsb 2 mb L2 for a gaming PC both r close in price just wanting some input from the Pro's Thx in advance for all comments/suggestions

L2 Cache doesn't affect 3D gaming performance very much. You won't see a huge difference for gaming because of L2 cache. Memory bandwidth and your video card are much more important.

No. 64bit extensions will not help gaming until the games are designed to take advantage of a 64bit processor.

Windows

A beta version of Windows64 has been released and i will be available in a year or so... as for games FarCry has 64-Bit support...

Windows64 is due for release soon. Since Intel is using AMD's 64bit technology, there won't be any special versions of software for either CPU, they should both work just fine.

But, right now, unless you use linux, there isn't an advantage to having a 64bit cpu other than being prepared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back