Glitch within Norton Antivirus - PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard the Duck

For the past while Norton Antivirus has pestered me with its "Urgent Attention - 1 item is affecting your status" message, and it seems to be utterly unfixable.

It seems that the root of the problem is that "Intrusion Prevension" isn't enabled, but no matter what I try, I cannot enable it.

Here's what I've tried thus far:

-The usual quick solution is to simply click "Fix Now" when there is an "Urgent Attention" message - and sure enough, the "Fixing" screen popped up when I attempted to do so, but the "Intrusion Prevension" still wasn't enabled afterwards. I have tried this 10 times now with no effect.

-Then I clicked the "Home" button and tried to isolate the problem. "Web Browsing" required urgent attention. It was then that I realized Intrusion Prevention was off - I usually have it enabled. I clicked it and a pop-up box gave me two options - "Turn on Intrusion Prevension" or "Configure Intrusion Prevension." I chose to turn it on, yet after several tries this also didn't turn it on.

-Undaunted, I then chose "Configure Intrusion Prevension." And that's when it happened. When I tried to click the checkbox that would turn on "Intrusion Prevension" in this new screen, no checkmark appeared. True, there were the usual dots around the box that had indicated I had clicked it, but the checkmark was nowhere to be seen - and it remained absent after several more clicks. Equally odd was the fact that the "Notify me..." option did in fact check and uncheck properly, but the "Intrusion Prevension" still was off, even after applying all changes.

-Somewhat concerned now, I looked over Norton's official FAQ in detail, but there was nothing that mentioned the problem, much less its solution. Since additional help could only be gained through a third-party email address, I figure I would ask you all instead.

Please help me with this issue and I would be very, very grateful. Before you attempt to do so, however, I ask that you please read all of the above post since it is critical. Thank you very much in advance.

Maybe you should try uninstalling and reinstalling the programme and see if that helps.

However, I must tell you that Symantec/Norton is a load of rubbish and I wouldn`t want it anywhere near my system. Would you have any objections in ditching Norton altogether and using something else?

Regards Howard :)

Well - the problem is that this version of Norton came with my Rogers Yahoo browser and I'm not sure if I can uninstall it now without also getting rid of the browser - but I could download another antivirus program and try it along with Norton - if you have any suggestions that are free, I'd be thankful. And thanks for the reply as well.

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

Hi,

I wouldn't recommend running Norton antivirus along with any other antivirus program as this might cause serious conflicts. The best course of action would still be to remove norton altogether, or at least disable it from running.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

I agree with momok. using another antivirus along side Norton is definitely not recommended.

I did say to try uninstalling and reinstalling Norton. This at least would let you see if your browser is still there.

momok said:
Hi,

I wouldn't recommend running Norton antivirus along with any other antivirus program as this might cause serious conflicts. The best course of action would still be to remove norton altogether, or at least disable it from running.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

howard_hopkinso said:
I agree with momok. using another antivirus along side Norton is definitely not recommended.

I did say to try uninstalling and reinstalling Norton. This at least would let you see if your browser is still there.

All right, thanks for the tip guys, I won't try adding on another virus program.

Unfortunately however, "Norton Antivirus" is nowhere to be seen in my Add/Remove programs screen or programs menu, so I don't think I can seperately uninstall it without removing my browser - and that's not an option.

Any suggestions as to how I might just fix the original problem without having to remove and uninstall my browser along with Norton? I know Norton isn't the best antivirus program, but it seems it has to stay for now.

Howard the Duck said:
Unfortunately however, "Norton Antivirus" is nowhere to be seen in my Add/Remove programs screen

Your computer wouldn`t happen to be a Compaq/PackardBell would it?

The only reason I asked is I know for a fact that some Compaq/PackardBell computers hide Norton from the add remove programmes list, unless a patch is downloaded. How stupid is that? I don`t know if Dell do the same.

What happens if you use the Norton removal tool (available here)?

Don't try this, however, unless you have the means to reinstall the browser software, just in case removing Norton messes it up.

Regards :)

kitty500cat said:
What happens if you use the Norton removal tool (available here)?

Don't try this, however, unless you have the means to reinstall the browser software, just in case removing Norton messes it up.

Regards :)

Thank you very much. Any ideas how I might be able to reinstall Rogers Yahoo if something goes wrong?

howard_hopkinso said:
You can download the Rogers Yahoo Browser from HERE.

Thank you once again Messr. Hopkinso - thanks for continuing to help.

EDIT #4: OK. I restarted the PC and was able to reinstall Norton Antivirus. It seems that the glitch is gone; guess I'll stick with Norton for now.

If you still have any suggestions for better Antivirus, however, I'm happy to hear them.

Thank you all very much for the support - problem solved, for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back