Going from Vista back to XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I recently bought a HP dv6000 laptop and it came with vista.. Im looking to use the laptop as my home away from home either doing work or playing my games (WoW). Ive seen that vista isnt the best when it comes to gaming and i was thinking of wiping the HD and reinstalling XP but i was told that since vista was put on the hd that I wont be able to wipe it and do a fresh install of Xp..?? can someone clear this up for me please.

You can do it. You just need to reformat the hard drive to remove all traces of Vista before you install a copy of XP. The format option is available as part of the install process.

Just be sure you have XP compatible drivers for your motherboard and other devices. Locate them, download and save them first before formatting. I've seen discussions before where drivers were hard to find when someone's Vista machine only came with Vista and not previously with XP, therefore no XP drivers were readily available.

After endless hours...... Heres what worked for me:

You must have a usb floppy for this to work.

Go to this website:

hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&softwareitem=ob-54270-1&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN[/url]

Download the driver at the bottom of the page and extract it to a floppy.

insert the win xp cd and press F6 to load sata driver,
CHOOSE THIS ONE:

"Intel 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH8M-E/M)"

It loaded for me. and windows xp is up and running.... t only took me 3 days to figure it out after slipstreaming 36 cd's (apparently not my thing, non of them worked.)

Merry Christmas to all and I hope this works for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back