Good (?) Computer, but NO power to run HL2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThugLife

Recently I built a new computer, and I figured it'd be reasonably powerful, but it gets downright choppy <5 FPS in some firefights when playing HL2 in ONLY 1024x768 res!

It's a 3800+ AMD64
New Gigabyte Motherboard (nothing too flashy, but I dont think it's the weak point- It does support 8x agp and all)
2g patriot pc400 Ram
FX 5700VE Geforce Card with 256 memory (from old comp, but the cards only 1 yr old tops)

Nothings overclocked (thats another problem, I can only up my FSB by 3mhz without instability) And the cpu/graphics are water cooled. So I dont think thats it

Is there something wrong with my puter? I've heard my graphics card actually sucks from some people, so is that the case? Basically I'm curious if this is normal, or if theres something wrong here

A FX5700 along with that CPU and RAM should not give you 5 FPS. I had a FX 5700 ultra and ran it with an AMD 3000+ with 1 gig of ram and played HL2 at 1024 x 768 with medium settings, 8x antistropic, reflect world, high shader detail, and saw 35-60 fps. You need to update all your drivers, perhaps reinstall windows. Also, do you have spyware/adaware... When is the last time you defragmented your harddrive. How many background processes are you running? The list goes on and on.

I don't think he is averaging 5fps. He said it drops down to that rate when there is a lot going on in the game. I had a 9800pro on my old computer and it ran HL2 fairly well, but every once and a while my FPS would drop down to terrible rates when things got really busy. The 5700 is a slower card than the 9800 pro so I assume he is getting lower rates than I was.

Try texture details at high, all world/environment stuff at low, forget the shader stuff like reflections, and run 8x af, no aa. I find that af makes a far greater impact on actual gaming than aa or shader stuff. Give me af or give me uhh something.

jarvis said:
A FX5700 along with that CPU and RAM should not give you 5 FPS. I had a FX 5700 ultra and ran it with an AMD 3000+ with 1 gig of ram and played HL2 at 1024 x 768 with medium settings, 8x antistropic, reflect world, high shader detail, and saw 35-60 fps. You need to update all your drivers, perhaps reinstall windows. Also, do you have spyware/adaware... When is the last time you defragmented your harddrive. How many background processes are you running? The list goes on and on.
Yes.Drivers.Update! :bounce:

na theres no spyware, nothing in the background, everything is completely updated. I guess it is the card though =/

Heck, if my 6100 onboard card averages 20-30 FPS in Half-Life, why couldn't a FX5700 run it better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back