Good heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

sensei

What is a good stable temperature my current temperature at the time of writing is 60 degrees celsius. My pc is freezing and locking-up so do you think that it could be the video card? If so do you think I should get a GeforceFX with the heatsink? Will that solve the problem?

60 is a bit warm but its nothing to be real concerned with. As for your locking up and query about video card - you are going to have to provide a bit more information here. Why do you assume video card is the cause of your lockups? There are many many reasons computers can lock up other than heat related. (as I'm sure you know - just pointing out that we need more information on your system and your problem to correctly diagnose it)

Specs

My Specs:

Athlon 2700+
Geforce4 MX440 Chaintech 64Mb
Sound blaster live 5.1
256Mb Ram
latest drivers at time of writing
GA-7VRX
VIA KT333 AGPset
60Gb

Please I have seen many techies and none seem to find a problem, the same thing happened with my old pc which was in the exact same place as where this one is so it could be a problem with the surrounding environment , any suggestions please elp

Surrounding environment could cause that if the mains voltage is not stable enough and the PSU can't cope with that. Have you tried using your computer elsewhere?

P.S. You could put your computer specs to your profile :)

If the 60 deg C you quoted is your system temp (i.e. inside the case), then that's way too high. Its fine if its the CPU temp, but you didn't specify, thus leaving others to make an assumption.

PS: I can't imagine a system temp being that high, so I suppose you are most likely refering to the CPU temp, and 60 deg C is fine. But what is your system temp?

sorry for the blind question, my cpu temp is 60 degrees and system is 20-27ish degrees. If you think the problem is not heat what do you think it could be?

Here is a list of my games that have problems
Medal of honour AA: lock-ups+error messages
Soldier of fortune 2: lock-ups+blue error messages
Unreal tournament 2003:freezes
Morrowind: freezes

Have you tried any other Detonators?
In the past you usually had to find the correct set to run your games (but I'm told this shouldn't be the case anymore)... It could be worth a shot...

Which version of VIA drivers are you using (if any)?

What kind of cooling do you have on your cpu?
60C idle temp is quite high, as it would increase even more when you start playing games...
(Though if you're running folding@home, seti@home or any other cpu intensive apps in the background now, the temp shouldn't be a problem...)

What apps do you have running the background? (Both when only using windows, and when playing games)
It could be that one of them are causing the errors...

The latest I've tried is the 44.03 version.
I tried installing 4.45hyperions(It comes up with an Isset_se illegal error)
I have no intensive background apps.

Then I think you don't have a good enough cooling...

I'm runnning an Athlon XP 2500+ and using stock hsf I usually stay around 50C under full load...
(Now my Barton is probably a bit cooler than your cpu, but still...)

What HSF are you using? (Stock, or anything special/silent?)

You didn't say whether those temps were idle or at full load or what. I would assume they are probably midrange since you said "as of time of writing" or something like that.

I also noticed you said your old PC did the same thing when it was in the same location as your current machine. to me, this suggests maybe some type of interference, or as suggested before the line voltage is not sufficient. incoming line voltages in the US can vary anywhere from 95vac-130vac. If there are other devices on the same circuit as the PC, it could be causing a problem. To solve this, you can either not use the appliaces causing interference, or you can use a line conditioner, which would be a good idea as well if you are having drops and surges in the line voltage.

I'm not using any old hardware, its completley new.
I'm using a stock hsf
The power is shared with the fax+scanner+printer+cordless phone.THe phone is a recent addition but the rest have been there since our old pc was there

Usually, when your system freezes, have you noticed any activity starting on your fax + scanner + printer + cordless phone?

These devices can cause spikes in the line voltage, so this is just a check as StormBringer raised a good point regarding line interference. I use a line conditioner, yet I still get popping on my PC whenever I switch some devices on (e.g. vacuum cleaner etc.). Worth checking.

c'mon guys it's the ram

256?..............shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......not anymore..............get that up to 512 minimum..............go to http://www.benchtest.com for a software cooler, to cool that puppy down................check your bios for the correct memory timings...........you are just a little unstable right now...........go see the shrink

and, please specify what kind of ram

compatibility issues abound................bios setting would hclk=33.......check your video config..........agp in bios or pci?...........apeture?..............sync your memory to your fsb ....now

Does voltage matter?
My AGP is 1.5V
and DDR is 2.5V
Pc after moderate use is about 57degrees(cpu) and 30-35(sys)
By the way my old pc has been moved to a different location in our house and still has the same problem.(both are gigabyte boards, both with nvidia video cards)

Also do you think it could be sound-related? The guy that put the pc together cheaped me by leaving AC 97' integrated sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back