Good old AutoCAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jana

I will not give up on my AutoCAD 11, (it costs too much!) I can run it in my DOS but how do I turn off my Windows? And then, how do I turn my Windows back on? Maybe I should just get some old computer that does not use Windows? The only thing that I have to do is turn off Windows Virtual something, and I have tried all the advice to no avail. Ms. Persistent : :giddy:

Which Windows version do you have?
DOS is only available under W98, W98 and W98SE.
All others require a boot-partition with DOS (this is the C-drive only!) and dual-booting to some Windows on another partition.

I have Windows XP. I did do a floppy boot disk, but what I need to do is turn of my virtual something. When I had AutoCAD on my old computer I had to configure my memory, but this is different. Thanks

If you have a FAT32 partition on your PC, you can install that Autocad11 on there.
To get to proper DOS on your PC, you need to start from a W98SE bootdisk. Get it from www.bootdisk.com
You will need to make modifications to CONFIG.SYS on that floppy (using Notepad).
Remove any lines that say:
device=himem.sys /testmem:eek:ff
or
dos=high,umb
and replace any occurrence of devicehigh= with device=

When you boot from that floppy, select the With CD support option.
When you get the prompt A:> type in the driveletter of that FAT32 partition, like X: end hit Enter.
You'll know the rest how to work under DOS.
To restart Windows, Exit your Autocad, take the floppy out and press the Reset button.

Good old AutoCAD 11

I'll give it a shot when I get back. Thanks, it sounds like it might do the trick.

Been awhile

I know it's been awhile since you last posted to this thread, but microsoft now has something out called virtual machine. You can install a full emulated dos version on your xp machine and run autocad, or anything else from there. I am doing the same thing now, except lost my autocad release 12 boot floopy. Any questions email me at epsolon77@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back