Google strips 8.8 million lines of code from Blink engine

Jesse

google blink google webkit open web platform

Google recently announced that it was forking WebKit to create the Blink rendering browser engine in an effort to pare down the WebKit engine to the essentials for Chrome. Since WebKit is used on over seven different platforms, it had become very tedious for the Chrome team to make adjustments for their browser without having to worry about the rest of the WebKit baggage.

What they didn’t announce was the rate at which they would be working on the project, and when we could expect to see some of these revisions. In true “browser war” fashion, the Blink team has removed all stops, and in just over a month, culled 8.8 million lines of code from Blink.

Alex Komoroske, a product manager on Chrome’s Open Web Platform, told a group of Google I/O attendees that removing so much code has not only dramatically improved the engine, but also had a profound effect on the engineers. They are more productive and the team has been exploring new rendering techniques and code contribution requests from Adobe, Intel, and Microsoft, said Komoroske.

The Blink team is well on their way to producing a viable product, reports TechCrunch. They have already begun testing a number of experiments with the engine, including Oilpan, a JavaScript tool that tests putting DOM nodes in a garbage-collected heap, and Lazy Block Layout. The latter assists browsers in loading web apps faster by prioritizing elements that are currently displayed on-screen, while deferring loading of off-screen elements. In one demonstration, rendering time using Lazy Block Layout was reduced from 4 seconds to 32 milliseconds.

Permalink to story.

Chrome needs a slim down. Heck, if you cant change the looks of the browser, at least get rid of all the junk. Well done.

Turn on the CPU and GPU speed feature and fix the flash/shockware crashing element. Just plain awful.

Google recently announced that it was forking WebKit to create the Blink rendering browser engine in an effort to pare down the WebKit engine to the essentials for Chrome. Since WebKit is used on over seven different platforms, it had...
Jesse, that's one of the most unique usages of the word, "forking", that I am currently able to recall....:D

At the moment Chrome brings slower windows machines to their knees so something needs doing.

Until they put RSS menu items into chrome I will stick with firefox, thanks but no thanks.

I cant believe they still havent fixed that crashing issue that was introduced a month or two back.
Yeah well before Google, it used to be a program going from version 1.0 to 1.01 until you got a bug fix. Now, with Google's self aggrandizing numbering system, it's more like version 20.0 to 25.0.

BTW, what "V" number is Google's gift to drive by downloads on now?:eek:

I cant believe they still havent fixed that crashing issue that was introduced a month or two back.
Yeah well before Google, it used to be a program going from version 1.0 to 1.01 until you got a bug fix. Now, with Google's self aggrandizing numbering system, it's more like version 20.0 to 25.0.

26 Stable, 27 Beta and 28 Dev

Yeah unfortunately.

The issue is present in 28 Dev. I reported an issue 5 months back to Google and all they have done is responded a ton but there has been no fix. It is such a simple issue, but it still hasnt been fixed. FAIL.

Yeah unfortunately.

The issue is present in 28 Dev. I reported an issue 5 months back to Google and all they have done is responded a ton but there has been no fix. It is such a simple issue, but it still hasnt been fixed. FAIL.

Yeah I also reported that but saw nothing happening from Google so went back to 27 Beta but now I'm using more Comodo Dragon which is on 26.2.2 and has better privacy and safety using Comodo's secure DNS servers for all links (Less malware) I only use Chrome to play with my WebStore apps...

Back