Google tests news search site

Status
Not open for further replies.

prashidi

Google has started testing a navigation site for news, the latest offshoot from the search company. The beta Web site, launched late Wednesday, searches the latest headlines from about 100 news sources every hour, allowing Web surfers to pull up articles from the previous seven days. The site updates headlines throughout the day, according a description of the service, and brief summaries accompany the articles. The Mountain View, Calif.-based company said it plans to continually add new information sources and make refinements to the service.

The news site is the most recent of Google's ventures into specialized search. In the last several months, it has developed navigation for mail-order catalogs and Microsoft-related sites. The company also has introduced a search appliance for enterprises.

News.com

Makes news hunting a lot easier, but only if you know what your looking for ;)

Thanks for this info.

Cool feature from Google. Thanks for the news. I guess this could be my new home page for my browser :D

BTW, are there any legal implications to this "news grabbing"?

Originally posted by lokem
Cool feature from Google. Thanks for the news. I guess this could be my new home page for my browser :D

BTW, are there any legal implications to this "news grabbing"?

I don't think so, Google will send A LOT of daily traffic to all those websites, so, I don't think anyone will ever complain ;)

Originally posted by 3DS Julio

I don't think so, Google will send A LOT of daily traffic to all those websites, so, I don't think anyone will ever complain ;)

Oh yeah! Forgot about that REALLY important point.. Traffic :D Hopefully those sites can handle the traffic.. Heh...

I am sure that most sites will be able to handle it, but I guess you never know. And if there is a problem, I am sure they can be removed from the search. But I think this is a good idea, so you don't have to sift through all the other stuff that comes up when you type in something important in the news.

True enough. Most of the sites indexed/searched are huge sites. Perhaps Google will be able to open up a new possibility of a revenue stream here.

Wonder how often the news are updated...

Originally posted by: lokem
Wonder how often the news are updated...

searches the latest headlines from about 100 news sources every hour, allowing Web surfers to pull up articles from the previous seven days.

Originally posted by prashidi
searches the latest headlines from about 100 news sources every hour, allowing Web surfers to pull up articles from the previous seven days.

Wow, that's quite a lot. Thanks for the info.

Re: Re: Google tests news search site

Thanks for the info...I use Google all the time...this is just icing on the cake. Thanks again.

It kinda makes you wonder what else they're capable of searching for. They've kinda conquered with the web search, which then included search in PDF files, then came the images, newsgroups and now news from other sites. What else have they missed out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back