Google unlocks real-time translation on all Assistant-optimized headphones

mongeese

Staff
Why it matters: When the Pixel buds launched a year ago, they came with two new features: Google Assistant baked right in, and an exclusive translation feature that uses Google Translate to have a conversation in real-time. Many earphones released over 2018 have had Google Assistant integration, and now they all have real-time translation, too, via an update to Google Assistant.

Real-time translation is a cool and useful feature. It wasn’t particularly polished when it first launched, but it has improved and now supports 40 common languages very well. Droid Life first spotted the key change on Google’s Pixel Bud page.

“Google Translate is available on all Assistant-optimized headphones and Android phones.”

Previously, it read “Google Translate on Google Pixel Buds is only available on Pixel phones.” It still only supports Android devices running Marshmallow 6.0 or above, but it has been tested on several brands’ products and on several Android phones, and has been shown to work flawlessly.

Tech Insider had the translation feature tested by several bilingual users; “I’ve never seen a translator that translated Korean this accurately into English,” one remarked. It did many translations perfectly, but it does get confused after three or more sentences. “You wouldn’t have a natural conversation with this, but you could ask a basic question.”

If you have some headphones with Assistant support from LG, Bose, Sony, JBL or any other premium headphone brand, you can grab a bilingual friend and check out the feature yourself.

Permalink to story.

"shown to work flawlessly." A pretty high standard, contradicted by:

“You wouldn’t have a natural conversation with this, but you could ask a basic question.”

Let's not set the bar too high. The state of the art is no where close to flawless yet.

"shown to work flawlessly." A pretty high standard, contradicted by:

“You wouldn’t have a natural conversation with this, but you could ask a basic question.”

Let's not set the bar too high. The state of the art is no where close to flawless yet.

It's still pretty fascinating. Akin to tablets being on Star Trek and then appearing IRL.

So does it also have the means to track, profile, and report all your conversations in multiple lang's too? I wouldn't own a goo goo anything!

I've been suggesting for months that a "real-life Star Trek Communicator pin" would be a great new gadget that could be reproduced quite effectively now.

Just like the TV version, you can do "real time 2-way translation", and make phone calls all from a pin you wear on your chest. Simply tap the "pin" and say, "Translate" (or actively listen for the "OK Google" wake command). Or tap/wake and say "Call (somebody)" to make phone calls.

Do you think a device like that would sell? :D

I've been suggesting for months that a "real-life Star Trek Communicator pin" would be a great new gadget that could be reproduced quite effectively now.

Just like the TV version, you can do "real time 2-way translation", and make phone calls all from a pin you wear on your chest. Simply tap the "pin" and say, "Translate" (or actively listen for the "OK Google" wake command). Or tap/wake and say "Call (somebody)" to make phone calls.

Do you think a device like that would sell? :D

Don't they have those at the United Nations in use today? LOL

But kidding aside, I was buying a couple of these Wireless Head phones from Jlabs, iFrogz and Plantronics .

plugz wireless
Bluetooth® Earbuds + Wireless Controls
+ mic - was the nice at first but the battery life was short.

JBUDS PRO BLUETOOTH SIGNATURE EARBUDS also Wireless
+ mic
- issues with the mic

I've spend a lot on these devices just to find out they're junk when it comes to communication. To me they're more designed for listening to music then to make a cell call.

Explorer 50/52 from Plantronic allows you to pair two devices cell plus tablet yep I have to say it does work.

Jlabs and Plantronics both feature female voice in your ear giving you reports on battery, volume, pairing, connected. Plantronics Explorer 52 that's what I've made in Sept 2018 has the female walking you through the steps to pair cell and tablet as 1 and 2. It's amazing has music option so the way this works you listen to your music on cell or tablet when a phone calls comes in the device switches automatically to the cell.

Explorer 52 cost me like $29 the other ones $19 and $24. The other two were returned. Quality on those two models wasn't the same as Plantronics. Jlabs gave you 1 year protection and free replacement. My ear hurts on Jlab JBUDS head phones even with so many gels buds in the tiny package. iFrogz Plugz wasn't impress with it. Both the Jlab and iFrogz had features to turn them off but they seem to stay on. Plantronics has on / off switch plus volume up / down and mute.

I just needed hands free communication and not have my cell with me. The range on these models some lack that range. Jlabs range is worst then iFrogz and Plantronics 33 feet range. I had a good Jabra ended up in my washer and dryer. But it stilled work water proof. Others claim the same.

I've tested them with Apple iOS 12 Siri and Hey or Okay Google Assistant on Android OS Oreo 8. Also Moto has voice feature can tell you who has sent you a text SMS and if you want to hear it play back and you can also send one back without typing it. Jlab failed mic issues. Just make sure you can return these devices. I had gone to major local retail instead of ordering from online.

Back