Google updates search to further combat fake, offensive content

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google has already done plenty to combat fake news but as the world’s preeminent search engine, its work is never really done. As Ben Gomes, VP of Engineering, explained in a blog post on Tuesday, more structural changes are needed in search to have long-term and impactful changes.

Gomes notes that Google has adjusted its signals to help surface more authoritative pages and demote low-quality content, a move that should prevent questionable material from appearing as often.

The search giant is also making changes to its Autocomplete predictions and Featured Snippets section which Gomes said can sometimes showcase unexpected, inaccurate or offensive material. Now, when such a result surfaces, you can simply click the “report inappropriate predictions” link directly below the results to flag unhelpful or offensive content.

Similarly, clicking Feedback under a Featured Snippet allows users to comment or make suggestions regarding a particular snippet.

The feedback, Gomes said, will ultimately be used to help improve the algorithms that operate the features.

The odds of coming across bogus information is pretty low, however, as Google says that only about 0.25 percent of daily queries have been returning offensive or clearly misleading content – the type of stuff that people certainly aren’t looking for.

Those looking to dig a bit deeper are encouraged to check out Google’s How Search Works site for more information.

Image courtesy Jaap Arriens, Getty Images

Permalink to story.

I love this "fake content" censorship. They aren't limiting free speech, they're protecting us from fake content! Thanks Google! I knew I could count on you.

So anyone know of any good search engines that search through "fake" content?

Honestly with what Google is doing with search results and how poorly they are managing YouTube currently I think they could give up a sizable portion of their market share. Google's YouTube policy is costing long time YouTubers lots of money and many are just waiting for any other platform to jump ship to.

This is all pandering to the SJWs. I don't know why pretty much every company is doing the same thing. They are not the majority yet and they will never be satisfied, they will always find something else to be offended about because that is just what they do.

If you look what Twitter is doing, they are letting real terrorist orgs have accounts and post their stuff meanwhile they mute anyone who doesn't agree with their political views. True stuff.

Thank you Google! You are where you are now because you give relevant results.

Everyone else who *cough*supportstrump*cough* likes fake news, here's your search engine... http://www.bing.com/

Last edited:
I love this "fake content" censorship. They aren't limiting free speech, they're protecting us from fake content! Thanks Google! I knew I could count on you.

So anyone know of any good search engines that search through "fake" content?

Honestly with what Google is doing with search results and how poorly they are managing YouTube currently I think they could give up a sizable portion of their market share. Google's YouTube policy is costing long time YouTubers lots of money and many are just waiting for any other platform to jump ship to.
www.startpage.com

What's is "fake news"? Seems to be anything contrary to "official statements". Even when it is from a reliable source. Otherwise EVERY news agency at some point has reported "fake news". At least google is taking steps to kill the free press and free speech.

Back