Got a second hard drive, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have recently bought a new hard drive for my computer, the comp is a 2.4ghz pent 4 poweredge 400sc. it has a stock 40gb hard drive with windows xp home edition. what i originally intended for the new hard drive was to not put any kind of windows OS on it and use it as a spyware and virus free storage device (i have a problem with that stuff and i figured that if i could just have an empty hard drive i could catalog the stuff i save on it and if a spyware program installed itself it would be recognized immediatly and deleted without having to sift through file after file of the pre installed windows folders). how will this work out, basically what i am expecting is to plug this thing in, install the driver, and simply have a D:/ drive to store stuff in without anything already on it. but something tells me it might not work out this way....

so what's the problem? just follow the instructions for installation that should have come with your drive.

what if the second hard drive has windows exp professional and my original one has windows exp home edition? it sounds stupid but my father is hellbent on getting profesional installed.

If you have XPhome on one HD, install a second HD, you can install XPpro there. It will automatically create the needed bootmenu.
However, what about your plan to store data on it? You should partition that new HD, 10-20GB for XPpro and the rest for storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back