Got Display but also Got "Cannot install display..." message

Status
Not open for further replies.

OGGBoy

HW: Dell Dimension 8200

Here's the scoops. I am repairing a PC that came to me infected with a couple of viruses, adware, and you name it. I also notice for the first time in my techy life a message after I logged in indicating that the monitor driver cannot be installed and to contact the manufacturer. I thought that was wierd but also thought it was tied to the fact that the machine needed some cleaning.

Now, the viruses are gone, the other junks are gone, and (get this) the monitor is gone from the device manager listing. Now the error message (when I log in) says that it cannot load the display driver and when I look at the device manager I see a yellow "!" by the display driver. Wierd stuff I must say.

The Dell diagnostics indicate the vido board is operating properly. My next step is to try and reseat the card and, unless I can think of something else to try, reload the OS. Any thoughts on this?

Conrado

P.S. Forgot to add this

When I right mouse click on the desk top and select properties, the hour glass displays for a secocnd or two, then... NOTHING; the display properties window does not open. Any clues? :confused:

Right on Right on Howard. That did it. The only hesitation I had was that the restore CDs had the original Windows XP build and this machine I am working on has SP2 already loaded. But I figured, if I had to rebuild this, it would be rebuild from the base anyway. So I did it, and it works. Mahalo much again.

Just make sure you update all of your critical updates, as the restore process put all of those files back to their original state. This is very important.

All done!!! Repaired the OS and applied all the updates. Whew. But now I've noticed two strange things which I tried to fix but couldn't.
1. In the Control Panel there are two (yup two) "Display") icons. One has the proper picture on it, the other icon looks like windows does not recognize it. But both of them works the same way. :suspiciou

2. The "Hide Inactive Icons" on the tool bar does not work. Under properties I do have the check box checked, yet none of the icons seem to hide at all.

any thoughts as to what is causing this? Shall I just throw the computer out the window :angel: (only kidding)

Thanks
conrado

Do a Find for 'desk.cpl' as well as 'desk.*' in case there is one with a funny name or extension.
There should be a desk.cpl in windows\system32 and perhaps the same one in windows\servicepackfiles\i386
The odd one out will be the evildoer.

thanks for your feedback. I found the bad cpl in c:\i386.

With regards to the "Hide Inactive Icons" not working, I read somewhere to click o Customize, and set one of the icons to "Always Hide" For me this worked.

thanks again for the feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back