Grahpics problems crash my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valor

Hello there,
I made a post in the Windows section some months ago about my comp crashing all the time - back then I thought that my corrupted 2nd hard disk was the cause but turns out it wasn't. I removed it and my computer still crashes. So now I was able to narrow it down to a video problem. But before I go on please sift through my previous thread so you know what's going on with my comp:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=282404#post282404
Ok, so this is what happens now. When I unistall all nvidia drivers and Windows replaces it with its own my computer does not reboot anymore! It is able to play all videos, flash animations and so on. However the display is pretty poor as motions are very jerky. (e.g. scrolling is very unsmooth) To figure out what exactly the problem with my nvidia card is I found the following post by someone who seems to have the exaxct same issues and like me, is not able to fix them:
http://www.infopackets.com/channels/en/windows/gazette/2002/20020910_windows_xp_crashes_with_my_nvidia_geforce_mx_400_video_card.htm
This made me real concerned as the guy has the same video card and the same OS than me. So what makes the system so unstable? Well, I figure I change the hardware acceleration - but nope, doesn't change anything. So I figure I roll back DirectX to the original 8.1 and see what happens. DirectX happy uninstall did the job but nope, my comp still reboots. So I figure I remove the video card and go back to only using my integrated graphics controller (Intel 82815) - what happens? Right, the comp still crashes. Ok, so I have this other video card, an old Nvidia RIVA TNT 2 and I get that installed. But you guess right - my computer still has its problem! But funnily enough, if I uninstall the driver again and have the card show up with a yellow alert in the device manager (just like I did earlier with the GeForce) the comp stops rebooting! So what the heck is this? I've really run out of ideas and what I can do to fix the situation...I'm pretty desperate! What baffles me is that I re-installed Windows just recently so it's not cluttered with anything and anyways, the crashes happened before the reinstallation too. Now it's just VERY frequent.

One more note - as you can see from my first thread disabling the reboot feature does not prevent my crashes. I do not get any BSODs and I also have no mini-dumps filed anywhere. The only alerts I find that may be related to my video problem are in the application log and refer to VLC player and Firefox. Check these out:
Faulting application vlc.exe, version 0.8.0.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000001.
Faulting application vlc.exe, version 0.8.0.0, faulting module libpacketizer_h264_plugin.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00002b43.

Faulting application firefox.exe, version 1.8.20060.50817, faulting module nppl3260.dll, version 6.0.11.2321, fault address 0x00004341.

Does this help? I would appreciate any feeback and suggestions! Thanks,
Dennis

Funny thing, my computer has been a little more stable since I've unchecked 'enable write combining' in the advanced properties tab. What is that anyway?
I still get reboots though...can I assume that the lack of replies here mean that nobody really has an idea how to help me? I hope not...thanks guys!
Dennis

Write combining speeds up the transfer of information to ur display and causes errors in older cards. Hence disabling it results in more stability. BTW, have u tried running memtest on ur RAM? Faulty RAM will result in such problems. Try replacing the RAM to see if it fixes the problem.

Write combining speeds up the transfer of information to ur display and causes errors in older cards. Hence disabling it results in more stability. BTW, have u tried running memtest on ur RAM? Faulty RAM will result in such problems. Try replacing the RAM to see if it fixes the problem.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I did run memtest and apparently everything is fine. I've been trying real hard to pinpoint the moment when my comp started to crash real bad - and I believe it was when I upgraded from dial-up to DSL. I read that the ethernet card I'm using is not the most stable one (Linksys NC100)...is this true? I could try another network card and see if that helps. Or maybe I just need a BIOS upgrade?? Cheers,
Dennis

cisco is the grandaddy of most all networking stuff [linksis, netgear, etc.] so you have a good card but cheaply maed as for crashing no. i don't think your computer would get screwed up for that, the whole restrt thing is probally in either vid card, vid card drivers/software, or power. there could be a few other things but those i dought. see if you cany get updated drivers for your vid card.come to think of it those other problems could be more likely than i tought but lets try that and see where it gets ya.

-JOSH

Hey joked u 2, I don't see how it can be a vidcard/drivers problems since I tried three different cards/adapters and it all made my comp reboot. (Tried all different kinds of driver versions, too) The power is unlikely too because I recently upgraded to a 350W supply because of this stuff. But didn't help! Well, my last shot now is changing the network card...let's see what happens. Cheers,
Dennis

Ok, I changed the network card and the problem persists. I also tried something else which was upgrading my monitor driver to the manufacturers. But that also doesn't change anything. AAARRGH!! What could possibly be left as the root for this problem?? I'm really getting frustrated here folks and that's very rare for me. I have always been able to identify the cause of a problem on my comp before, heck in my life in general. But this thing totally leaves me dumbfound! I really need help, folks...maybe it's just this windows version that I'm using!? Or maybe I need a BIOS upgrade? Those are the only things left I can think of...but how likely are they the cause of these crashes? And how do I get my minidumps to show up?? Thanks...
Dennis

just arbitraraly restart and go into your bios, see if you can find the temps and voltages you may have a heat related problem... please repost your results and don't get frustrated, i find this is where i make most of my mistakes... :hotbounce

I think I found the problem! At last...I was doing a lot of research on the net and came across some helpful things. Especially when I came across connections between CD burning software and reboots I pricked my ears. So I did a couple of things:
I unistalled Roxio software.
I kept Nero but uninstalled the light scribe service. (I had a few alerts in the event log from that service)
I took out the Nvidia RIVA card and went back to the integrated display adapter.
I cleaned up and defragmented my C drive.
I'm not exactly sure which one of them did the trick or if it was a combination of them all - either way my computer did not have one sinlge reboot for the past couple days with my regular activity! YAY! The only thing that happens now is that if too much is going on or whatever my browser crashes back to the desktop but hey - that's better than before! I'm sure I can tweak that, too...
Cheers,
Dennis

Well...2 months later my computer is starting to crash again...I have been keeping my C drive free with around 1-2 GB and have not installed any new software or drivers. So what gives?? Luckily I have a minidump from a blue screen I got not too long ago - hopefully it has to do with the same problem that keeps my comp rebooting. Unfortunately when I follow the minidump instructions (download debug tool, command prompt etc) the log text reads the following:

Opened log file 'c:debuglog.txt'
kd> .sympath srv*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Symbol search path is: srv*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
kd> .reload;analyze -v;r;kv;lmnt;.logclose;q
Loading Kernel Symbols
..........................................................................................................................
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for i81xdnt5.dll
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for i81xdnt5.dll
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for NAVENG.Sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for NAVENG.Sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for NavEx15.Sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for NavEx15.Sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for NAVAP.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for NAVAP.SYS
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for SYMFW.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for SYMFW.SYS
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for SYMEVENT.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for SYMEVENT.SYS
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for SYMTDI.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for SYMTDI.SYS
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for SYMREDRV.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for SYMREDRV.SYS
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ac97intc.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ac97intc.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ks.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ks.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for i81xnt5.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for i81xnt5.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for vmodem.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for vmodem.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for vpctcom.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for vpctcom.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for vvoice.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for vvoice.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for SASKUTIL.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for SASKUTIL.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for SABKUTIL.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for SABKUTIL.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for drmk.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for drmk.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Pcouffin.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for Pcouffin.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for SYMNDIS.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for SYMNDIS.SYS
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for RTL8139.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for RTL8139.SYS
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for fdc.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for fdc.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ProtoWall.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ProtoWall.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for SYMIDS.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for SYMIDS.SYS
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for SASDIFSV.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for SASDIFSV.SYS
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for SYMDNS.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for SYMDNS.SYS
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for speedfan.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for speedfan.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for giveio.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for giveio.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for swenum.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for swenum.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for PQNTDrv.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for PQNTDrv.SYS
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for CDRPDACC.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for CDRPDACC.SYS
Couldn't resolve error at 'nalyze -v;r;kv;lmnt;.logclose;q'
kd>

Help pleas!
Thanks,
Dennis

There seems to be some problems with your .sys files. Post another log of a crash to see if I find and corner the problem

Well, it was rare enough that I actually had a minidump because of a BSOD...usually my comp just reboots without leaving a minidump. Isn't there a software out there that could read dmp?
Dennis

Hey Dennis,
it might be time for another motherboard don't you think? You have changed or swapped out most everything else haven't you :)

I think the main cause of the crashes is Norton Antivirus or something similar on ur PC, since Naveng.sys is a module present in Norton Internet Security. Check it out here

Those programs are plain rubbish and a real pain when they go bad. Uninstall them and delete all folders relating to them on ur PC and install Avast! from here and the ZoneAlarm free firewall from here. Those two are completely free and will most likely stop the crashes. Also, they are lighter and much better at stopping viruses/trojans from getting into ur PC than any of Norton's products, especially when used in conjunction with a good anti-spyware program like Ad-Aware or Spybot: S&D.

Thanks Rage for the tips and links - I have suspected something with my security walls too...one thing that made it better was actually removing protowall from my system. It was an unstable beta version. But I still get the occasional boot and its usually in conjunction with the internet, esepcially those annoying ad clips that are embedded in websites. I will try to install a stable protowall and also try Avast and Zone Alarm. I do have Spybot and other anti-spyware - that is definitely not the cause of the problem. Can somebody also point me to a really good registry cleaner? One that's preferably freeware and isn't so radical that it causes my windows to not work at all anymore? Thanks,
Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back