Graphic artifacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edlismange

Hi, for about a year now I've been having the same problem, which is mainly when I play games I get flickery textures and coloured dots appearing on the screen, then getting worse and ultimatley crashing my computer.

Recently however, I have been getting various similar problems on my desktop aswell. Coloured dots appear sometimes when I move windows around the screen, and sometimes when I do this the monitor blacks out and shakes for a second (as if I had pressed the degauss button). Programs like media player with visualisations or effects tend to produce more artifacts.

Also, occasionally, in my web browser, and other programmes with text (this includes menus in my games etc) the text gets distorted, however, if i highlight the text, the distortion goes away. The first artifacts that I notice in games are usually corrupt text graphics.

Recently, the artifacts were getting so bad that I could barely use my computer. However, I decided to switch the ram into different slots and this seemed to eliminate the artifacts. After a while though, they returned.

Here are my specs:
inno3d Nvidia 6800 GT 256 mb
AMD athlon xp 2600+
ASUS a7v8x-x mobo
768 mb ddr ram (2 sticks)
audigy 2 zs sound card

I should mention that my card is not overheating (neither is my processor), and that all the correct drivers are installed. I have also formatted several times but the problem persists.

Its most likely not enough power going to the card. Try a different power connector to the card from your PSU. Try reseating your vid card.

Download Speedfan or Everest Home, navigate to the sensors page and post us a report on it. Temps, volts etc. Then tell us the model, watt rating and the little chart of the rails etc from the sticker on the side of your PSU.

Do you remember of any enviromental changes? hardware/software or power surges etc? any other info?

Here's my report from Speedfan:

Fan1: 4856 RPM
Fan2: 0 RPM
Fan3: 0 RPM

Temp1: 43C
Temp2: 32C
Temp3: -1C
Local Temp: 38C
Remote Temp: 47C
HD0: 30C

Vcore1: 1.71V
Vcore2: 0.00V
+3.3V: 3.06V
+5V: 4.70V
+12V: 12.10V
-12V: -16.97V
-5V: -8.78V
+5V: 4.81V
VBat: 4.08V

The sticker on the side of my PSU says that it's a Mercury 400W ATX Switching Power Supply.
Heres the grid thing:

V(input) Voltage ¦ Current ¦ Frequency
-----115V / 230V ¦ 8A / 4A ¦ 50HZ - 60HZ

V(output)+3.3V +5V +12V ¦-5V -12V +5VSB ¦ PS-ON - POK - COM
-----------24A 35A 12A ¦ 0.5A 0.8A 2A ¦ GREEN - GRAY - RETURN

I have already tried switching the power connector to the video card but it made no difference. The only environmental change was that I moved house from a town to a village. The problems started after the move.

12 amps on the 12volt rail seems to be a bit low, and conisdering it's an after market brand, it's just not giving you that extra juice when you need it most such as gamming.

I wonder if that is the problem that I am having aswell I have a ATI Radeon X1900XTX 512mb with my stock 400w psu on my Guardian case.

You don't really need that case + PSU combo, not to mention that it's a crappy one too. (The PSU that is). For the same price, this is an excellent PSU with 22A on each of its two +12V rails. It's of superb quality and highly recommended.

Hey I'm getting horrible artifacts on all my games I play and dont know why. My card isn't even good or doesnt require a high psu. It always worked fine but one day it just started screwing up, can anyone help me out?

specs-

amd anthlon xp 2.1ghz
abit kv7
1gb ddr400
geforce fx 5700 LE
400w psu by power max

I really would like to get this working as I am selling my pc, Just ordered a quad core yesterday :D

I was doing some tests and I found that running my games in window mode seems to fix the problem in most of the games. They return when I switch back though. The video cards temps stay under 55 degrees Celsius, so it doesn't seem to be a heat issue. I really want to get to the bottom of this issue though.

It might be a driver issue. Try using the drivers that came with the card. Or if you're running those, try upgrading to the latest ones from NVIDIA's site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back