Graphic card not working to its full potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypothesis

Hello, recently I brought the Leadtek Geforce 7600 GT and I fixed it on just fine. I extended one of the free sockets with another one which came with the card and fitted the power thing into the graphics card. I uninstalled all my old ATI stuff and installed the new NVidia stuff, with the latest drive (93.71). To my suprise, what I'd hope for came to be much worse. I tried testing it through low graphic demanding games, such as Warrock. It has the same graphic lags as my old Radeon 9550. I tried running a 3DMark06 test through it. Didn't look promising. The first test ran from 20 in empty parts, to 8 in action parts. Same for the next test, but then the 3rd test, it ran at 0fps, about 1 frame per 3 seconds. Is there anything wrong with my card? Have I not installed stuff? I have tried disabling AA, AF and Vsync, and it looks exactly the same as with them on, and with the same fps.
Next I tried closing down all processes, no luck. Still the same kind of lag.
I'm really sure it can do a lot more than this, as I forked out over £100 (About $200) for it. I don't want it to be the same as my Radeon 9550 which I brought for £40.

Here are my computer specs.
Intel(R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.40Ghz (2CPUS) ~3.40Ghz Prescott
Technology 90nm Voltage 1.363
Caches
L1 Data 16kbs
L2 Data 12Kuops
Level 2 1024kbs

Core speed 3400 MHz
512mb RAM
Direct X9.0c
NVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256mb

Motherboard
Chipset Intel i865P /PE / G / i848P

AGP Version 3.0
Transfer Rate x8
Max Supported x8

Memory DDR

250gb Space.

Anything I could do to make it work properly? I've tried almost everything.

Thanks in advance.

Hello and Welcome to Techspot!! :)
What are your system's CPU and GPU temperatures?

Use a program like Everest Home, or SIW to check them out.

Maybe that's your problem. Most newer games require at least 1GB of RAM, and even with 1GB, some games like BF2 and Oblivion like 2 GB of RAM for best performance.

Just to let you know, you don't have 2 cpu's as stated, but rather one with Hyper Threading. Try reverting to older drivers for your video card problem.

EDIT:
You won't get promising 3DMark06 results with only 512MB of ram.

I am wondering if your 7600GT is actually underperforming, or if you just THINK it is underperforming.

3DMark06 tests run at VERY low frame rates, even for a 7600GT. I have a 7800GT on my system and it also comes to a complete stop on some of the 3DMark06 tests.

What was your 3DMark06 score? Have you tried running any new(ish) games?

I did not get it to finished, as the computer froze during the 3rd test. I tried playing Guild Wars on it.

Intel Pentium III 1GHz or equivalent.
512 MB RAM.
ATI Radeon 9000 or GeForce 4 Ti Series Video Card with 64MB of VRAM.

Is what is recommended, I have all of that, if not better. And the game lags like hell, especially when using my mouse to view the scenery. I've ended all processes and doesn't seem to help.

Where can I get a 1gb RAM without having to dish out alot of money? I was hoping around £50ish but they all seem to be £90. Thanks.

hmm just a hunch..when you uninstalled your ATI drivers...
did you use driver cleaner pro?
you should try it...the drivers could still be there and conflicting with your nvidia ones...its a long shot but try...also ..u should disable your onboard card...
it shouldn't lag like that >_<
look at stuff in the bios such as graphic appecture size etc..

Yeah, I already cleaned the computer from older drives using the cleaning thing. I earlier today defragged my computer and scan disked it. No difference. =/

wait till other members see your thread...i'm out of ideas...:)
if some dood aliased Sharkfood gives you some advice..listen to him carefully..he knows his ish/troubleshoot steps :)
you could be missing something...something in bios...that u need to change...if it ain't overheating...and if it ain't driver complications...u google your problem...it can't be lack of ram...even with 512 u shouldn't be getting such crap performance..

What if you do a complete format? It could help.

Also, what about your power supply? What make and model is it? Amperage on the +12V rails?

What are your system temperatures? (GPU & CPU)

Regards :wave:

If you follow Wolframs reply, try to download a program by the name of speedfan for your computer temperatures. It seems to have worked the best out of all the other programs I have tried to find out my temp. I acutally have it installed and running on both of my computers, and have used it on others. The only time it didn't work was when it was installed on a Pentium (I) @ 166MHz, 80MB Ram, and a 1GB hard drive. I'm actually writing from that computer right now. Computers this old don't exactly have sensors, or sensors that can be traced on Windows 95.

What about your advanced chipset options in the BIOS?

In particular you could try adjusting your AGP Aperature size. It should be set to 128Mb since you have a 256MB card.

Also in some configurations Fastwrite causes instability. After you change the aperature size if it still does not help, try chaning the agp fastwrite from enabled to disabled.

Thanks for all the feedback.

My PCU is 300 watts, its fine. I checked with my computers manufacture company and they said it was okay.

Here are what my Advanced Chip bios say.
Dram Timing Selectable [By SPD]
CAS Latency Time 3
Active to precharge delay 8
Dram Ras # to Cas# delay 3
Dram Ras# Precharge 3
Memory Frequency for [Auto]
System Bios Cacheable [Disabled]
Video Bios Cacheable [Disabled]
Memory hole at 15m-16m [Disabled]
Delay Prior to thermal [16min]
AGP Aperture size [64]

I changed the Aperture size to 128, will it make any difference?

Changing the aperature should make a difference. Do you notice it in gameplay?

The leadteck 7600gt requires a MINIMUM of 300W psu. The company that put your system together may be right that the PSU is enough, but I'd check one more thing to be sure.

On the sticker attached to your PSU (inside the case) tell us how many amps it it has on the +12v rail.

Also, download speedfan https://www.techspot.com/download547.html and tell us the readings for your +3.3v, +5v and +12v rails.

15 Amps on the +12v rail.

On Speedfan,
Vcore is 1.30V
3.3v is 3.31V
+12v is 3.28V
Vcc is 4.99V
Vin2 is 0.00V
5vsb is 4.88V
Vbat is 0.00V

Thanks.

Are you sure about this?

+12v is 3.28V

software readings of voltages are not very reliable, however they are a good hint as to what is going on.

If that reading above is true, your PSU is failing you, and likely the cause of your problems. Do you have a voltmeter so you can check the REAL voltage output?

You can get a second (software) opinion by checking on your bios and see what it is reporting there.

Chances are that reading you posted above is not far off, and you are going to need to replace your PSU.

Okay a quick report. I reformated the computer, and I found out in bios the +12v is 11.67V. I updated windows to the max, all drivers, cleaned any old ones. Im still experiencing lags but not as often. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back