Status
Not open for further replies.

Emit79

AMD AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ 2014.9
Radeon X1800 Series MCI RX1800
ASUS A8n-SLI
2 GB of RAM
Heat level is normal.

Im a little n00bish when it comes to this stuff but i do know some. I play games like HL2, BF2, Total war 2, R6:Vegas Madden 07...and more. But recently ( past week) when i play some games in the middle the screen will go checkerd and start to get all screwed up. Or it will turn bright colors and all the lines will begin towards the middle like a cone. The only way to get out of it would be to reboot. It first started with R6 vegas and only R6, now its mostly every game. I have all the latest drivers and all. Any Advice? It's driving me Crazy. Thanks guys.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I would guess either an overheating video card or an underpowered/failing psu.

Take the side panel off of your case and aim a deskfan into your case, also make sure the card`s fan is spinning correctly and it`s not caked in dust. See if that helps at all. If it doesn`t, then you can rule out overheating.

What psu do you have? Brand/wattage/amps on the 12volt rails. You can find that info one the psu label.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Your power supply sticker should look like this;

image5big1lb.jpg

howard_hopkinso said:
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I would guess either an overheating video card or an underpowered/failing psu.

Sorry like i said im noobish, where can i find that info out? ( i got the fan on it right now) Thats for helping me out.

With the side panel off of your case, you should be able to see the label on the psu(power supply unit).

Thanks for the pic cfitzarl, that explains it nicely.

Regards Howard :)

Next time you post a problem, please read the "stickies" on the top of the forums. This is posted in the audio/video forum.

Your power supply is a little flimsy for your video card, although it may work. It's just that a failing or inadequate power supply can lead to your problem. I have never heard of the brand CWT, although if your in the looking for a new psu, I would suggest a Thermaltake or Antec for a brand. And no, you don't suck at this. You should have seen my first thread ;)...

For a new power supply would i need to get a whole new case? i didnt get this case i got it from my bro who was gunna build one but decided not too, so i just took the case and didnt pay attention to anything in it. Stupid yes i know.

Why do you think you`d need a new case in order to get a new psu?

I agree with cfitzarl, your psu does seem a little flimsy for your system.

Has having the side panel open and the fan blowing into your case made any difference to your problem?

well it hasnt happened yet, since i put the fan on, i will upgrade power anyways cuz it could proly use it. what ways can i better the air flow of my cpu? how can i keep it cooleR?

If overheating of your video card is the cause of your problem, then you can keep it cooler by making sure it`s not dusty and by also adding more case fans to improve the airflow.

Before you go changing your PSU, leave your case open with the desk fan blowing in and give you video card a good testing with your games. See what the outcome is.

Obviously, it wouldn`t hurt to invest in a decent psu by Antec/FSP/enermax etc. However, our main concern is in finding out exactly what is the cause of your problem. As I said in my first post, I think it`s either overheating or an underpowered/failing psu. If it was the psu that was at fault, then having a desk fan blowing into your case wouldn`t make much difference.

well since i had the fan on it hasnt messed up yet and i played about 3 games of Medievil total war 2 when usually i wouldnt last through half. whats the ideal temp for a cpu case? how many fans would be enough? what fans do u have? how many? whats good oneS? sorry for the questions thanks bud

It`s looking likely that your problem is overheating related. The question is why has it started overheating? Is the video card fan failing? Is it full of dust and debris? Are your existing case fans dusty? Start by giving everything a good clean and see if that improves things.

The problem is, I can`t see what case you have. Some cases are severely limited to the number of case fans you can add.

Ideally, you`d want something like one front and one side intake and one rear and one top exhaust fans, although i am aware that a lot of cases have no provision for top exhaust fans.

In my case, I have 2 front and two side intakes and two rear and one top exhaust.

Looks like possibly the memory is overheating,

What are your GPU temps ,,,

PSU might not be holding up,

Artifacts mean memory overheating, You OCin @ all,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back