Graphical glitches, crashing - damaged card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not exactly tech savvy, so bear with me here if I do anything wrong. Basically, the issue came with my new card, upgrading to a MSI NX7600GT from a very old and very worn out MSI FX5200, both on the AGP slot.

Now, i'm not complaining about the fact that I can read a webpage without the screen flickering on and off every ten seconds, casuing ridiculous eye strain, but now my graphics card seems to not function with most games anymore, or have glitches. For example, in Jedi Academy, textures on both the characters, and on the surrounding scenery, have a series of white horizontal lines of random thickness and length that display over the top of the textures. Also, I get random 3D shapes flickering across the screen. After about ten or fifteen minutes, the game crashes, stating the all too helpful runtime error, explaining it as an abnormal program termination.

Gee, thanks, I know exactly what is wrong now. Anyway...

Now, for anything that isn't using the Quake 3 engine, the game crashes don't occur, however the white texture issue remains. I suspected it could be a cooling issue, and without thek nowhow to check temperature, simply pulled the cover off my computer and clean it once a day or so. No luck. I've tried going into the BIOS, changing aperture, etc...basically anything that relates to the graphics card. No luck, so I set everything back to the previous settings, which I consider 'safe', seeing as they worked for my FX5200 for years.

I tried the Direct3D accelerations tests in dxdiag, and strangely enough, the graphical glitches only appear on the direct3d 7 test, which I thought was odd.

So, i'm pretty much at my wits end, and i've jumped to the conclusion that my graphics card is damaged, and it's out of warranty too, to make things even better. Is my assumption correct? Will I have to fork out more money to get another AGP card for my aging system?

If you need me to chuck down my dxdiag list, i'll do it on request. Otherwise, it just clutters things up. IF I could get some help on this, I would be eternally grateful etc. etc.

If you didnt do as Fragrant Coit suggested then you will need to boot into safe mode by pressing F8 as windows begins to load and select the safe mode option.
You then need click start, control panel, system, hardware, device manager, and remove everything in display adapters.
Also anything to do with the old graphics card in add/remove programs.
Once done, reboot into normal mode and install the driver and software for your new card.

With a bit of luck, that should fix your problem.

There was only the current card under display adaptors anyway, funnily enough, but I removed and re-installed anyway. No change, however.

What I meant mostly was the old DRIVERS....

Cont Panel / Add Remove Programs.

Or, perhaps preferably, use Driver Cleaner, reboot, & reinstall the latest NVidia Drivers.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

Although the old Drivers were NVidia also, they install to suit the Card - so the newer card & old Drivers can cause havoc - even if you've installed new ones as the old beasties are still there.

Used Driver Cleaner, rebooted and reinstalled as you said...but no change. The glitches still occur, resulting in crashes. I'm beginning to feel that the card is in fact damaged, which is more than frustrating for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back