Graphics Card AGP 8X is it still good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an ATI Radeon 9500 PRO 128 MB Graphics Card installed in my system of P4 2.4 GHZ, 512 MB RAM, 845G chipset. I am finding it a bit slow to meet my video editing requirements and am thinking of upgrading. Is it advisable to go for a new mobo and processor with same AGP 8x Graphics card (choice limited to mobo with AGP slot with 865 or 875 chipset) or directly go for 915/925 PCI express cards. I am on low budget and hence trying for a value for money solution. Will you please help.

Are you sure it is the vid card that is being the bottleneck?
For video editing it is the CPU that does all the work.

I am not sure graphics card is the bottle neck.But rendering takes a lot of time which i want to improve up on. But I wish to upgrade with in budget and hope my ATI radeon 9500 PRO with 128 MB memory is still good enough. Can you suggest a better option between going for CPU MB combination with AGP interface or going for a new PCI E interface.

Right now you won't see any big gains from going PCIe, but that is set to change, as ATI has been talking about how PCIe will help people doing video editing by offloading part of the burden to the graphics card.
But until such a solution becomes readily available, you won't see much difference.

I was going to suggest going PCIe and using the new Albatron AGP to PCIe bridge card, but it seems it doesn't support your graphics card...
But all is not lost yet ;)

If you look here you should find 2 motherboards which supports both AGP and PCIe.
(If the search doesn't open, just specify 1 AGP8x/4x and 1 PCIe 16x and you'l find them)
They don't cost too much (90$ and 79$) and will allow you to take the upgrade in steps, instead of one large upgrade...

Good luck :)

Wow i never knew they made a mobo with both AGP and PCI-E. Thats kinda nifty! lol

sean

Yeah, it's quite nice...

I must admit though that I don't know how well it performs compared to a standard PCIe or AGP motherboard... But considering it's an intel board it should at least be stable...

Performance on those boards are very bad, at least when you use the AGP connector. The reason is the AGP bus is routed via the PCI bus. It's crippled beyond belief.

As far as I know the only true chipset with AGP & PCI-e is from Uli but nowhere to be found outside of Asia. You can see it HERE.

But wouldn't you say that the performance shouldn't be a problem for the video editing?

Or maybe he/we can find a webshop in Asia that will ship worldwide?

Didou said:
Performance on those boards are very bad, at least when you use the AGP connector. The reason is the AGP bus is routed via the PCI bus. It's crippled beyond belief[/url].

Wow so that means its running at 33MBs? or am i mistaken? that is pretty bad

sean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back