Graphics Card dead in blackout

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Radeon 9800 Pro has died during a blackout, the fan doesn't work at all, i suspect that power can't get to it. I don't think buying a new fan would help at all considering electricity won't even go to the fan.. I'm not sure if that is the case, but i would assume so.. Is there anything i can do to fix this without buying a new graphics card?

If you graphics is fried, maybe other things are fried. I don't think the gpu would be the first to go, but ymmv.

Try the card in another pc to test it if you can, if it works, then something else is fried, if it doesn't work the card's fried, and other things could be fried too, depending on what happened. Also try another agp card in your system to see if it works, if it does, your card was fried, and nothing else.

I have my old GeFoce 4 Ti 4200 in right now, and everything has been working fine for the past few days... So, luckly, only my graphics card got fried. Also, i tested teh card out in a different computer to make sure.. when i started up the comp it said something along the lines of "Power Cable not connected to Radeon 9800 Pro"??

Well, then the good news, your mobo/cpu/ram/psu/pci cards aren't fried then. The bad news, your graphics is.

Is there anything you physically can see that would cause a problem? Like burn/scorch marks, bulging/exploded capacitors, fan wire loose, heatsink not attached well?

vnf4ultra said:
Well, then the good news, your mobo/cpu/ram/psu/pci cards aren't fried then. The bad news, your graphics is.

Is there anything you physically can see that would cause a problem? Like burn/scorch marks, bulging/exploded capacitors, fan wire loose, heatsink not attached well?

no burning/scorch marks, no bulging or exploded capacitors, fan wire isnt loose, heatsink is attached well...

I put it in a older computer again, and this time the graphics card worked fine, besides teh fan was completly dead.. maybe i just need a new fan? or no electrical signal isn't going to the fan?

ALWAYS have a surge protector, and if you can, get an UPS. My old computer got burned out even with a surge protector because of a double power bump. It did not have an UPS, and the memory slots got fried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back