Graphics Card installation - need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, having a few problems with my graphics card, I can't seem to be able to fit it into the slot. I've tried with three different cards and everytime i get them in and plug in the monitor it says that it's not connected.
I'm not sure what I can do, I'm absolutely terrible with computers when it comes to building/programming....

(also wasn't sure where to put this but I can't seem to be able to use my USB connectors - I've checked that the pins are connected in the right place etc at least where i think the right place is according to the diagrams xD

Any help would be most welcome :)
<3

hmmm motherboard is Asus P5VD2-VM Socket 775 P4M900 VT8237a PCI-Ex16 mATX
video cards are - sapphire radeon 9550 56mb / x800 ati silencer 256mb
not sure if there's anything else....

Where to look

You need a motherboard manual to show you how,where and what types
it uses.I had no problem with my ATI X1650/PCIx.It was all in my manual.
Have you really bought 3 cards ? :rolleyes:

Your motherboard has what is called a PCI-E (PCI-Express) x16 graphics card slot. It appears you are trying to fit AGP slot graphics cards. Not compatible. You need to buy a PCI-E x16 graphics card.

zipperman said:
You need a motherboard manual to show you how,where and what types
it uses.I had no problem with my ATI X1650/PCIx.It was all in my manual.
Have you really bought 3 cards ? :rolleyes:

not bought 3 cards, have 3 pc's and tested all of them as the one i wanted in wasn't working :(

Mailpup - thanks :) do you know of any you could recommend?

Mailpup - thanks do you know of any you could recommend?
What will you use it for mostly? Gaming? What is your spending limit for the card?

Also, what version of Windows are you running? XP?

i'm on both XP - would be used mainly for gaming yeh, Warcraft to be specific.
Not totally sure on spending limit, depends on what minimum generally is to get a well performing card...

You know mailpup thats what I was thinking Hehehehehehehehe, and that's why I asked for the motherboard and video card. :)

The best performing card for the money is easily the Radeon X1950Pro. The PCI-E version is fairly cheap as video cards go. For best results I'd buy the 512MB version. This card will kick the crap outa WoW and play most (if not all) of todays more demanding games! You will have good frame rates in reasonably large group battles. ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102075

I didn't shop around for a better price, so you may want to. I also didn't shop by brand and you way want to. I'd stay away from Biostar and DDR2 memory if such a card exists.

For your reference:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10...r_the_money/page2.html#best_pcie_card_for_120

The next step up is over $100.00 more.

IMHO, the Radeon X1950Pro is indeed a good card and a good value for the money. To get better performance you would have to jump to the top of the new Radeon line, the HD 2900 series or to the Nvidia 8800 series with a big step up in price as Cinders mentioned already.

These last two series of cards are both DirectX 10 compliant but as you are running Windows XP, you can't run in DX 10 mode anyway. However, if you have the big bucks and buy one of them, they run great in DX 9 mode too.

Although in my latest build I bought an Nvidia 8800 series card (see my system specs), I do like the Radeon X1950Pro that Cinders recommended. I have a related card, a Radeon X1900XTX, installed in another PC of mine and I still use it.

Well, first of all, do you have a PSU (Power Supply Unit) capable of supporting a powerful card like the X1950PRO? You might need to upgrade it. Open up your case and look for a sticker somewhat like this. Either take a picture or copy the information to a notepad file and post it here. Only then can we give you a good recommendation. Also, how much would you be willing to spend in total, assuming that you did need a new PSU? In addition, where are you located?

Re Power Supply size.
My motherboard manual details this for my Motherboard.
asus P5K-VM
500 watt minimum,recommended 6 or 700.
This is where to check.

This is not a performance problem.
Like the above posts mentioned, it could be a power supply issue. Do the graphics cards require a hookup for a molex cable??

Read this again

icklemii said:
hmmm motherboard is Asus P5VD2-VM Socket 775 P4M900 VT8237a PCI-Ex16 mATX
video cards are - sapphire radeon 9550 56mb / x800 ati silencer 256mb
not sure if there's anything else....

You don't say but this is probably an AGP Card.I doubt if you could put
it in the wrong slot.
Go to ATI,Support.locate updates and install the latest driver it provides.
Do you have Catalyst Control Panel installed ? This could be your problem.
Read their advice on useing driver only and what to do to install
driver only.
I am useing driver only with good video results for my needs anyway.
But i avoided the Saphire version this time.
I have the PCI-E16 Radeon x1650 PRO.Good reasonably priced upgrade.
You have the slot listed above.Double check this.Use website latest driver only if you buy this.Forget about the cd drivers.
I got this advice from ATI Tech Support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back