Graphics card not performing like it should

Status
Not open for further replies.

madcatmk2123

Hi, I have a BFG Geforce 6800GT that I bought about 2 months ago and for some reason I'm not getting the FPS I think I should be getting in a game like Counter Strike: Source and Doom 3. In counter strike if I turn the graphics down to bare minimum I get on average 20 fps. This is the same thing I got with my old GeforceFX 5200 when I did the same thing. The problem gets weirder is when I max out the games graphics to full which is passed the recommended specs the game suggest, I get an average 35FPS in same situations and up to 110 when im not doing anything. But in some good firefights I go back to 20 even so far as 9 FPS. In Doom 3 I once again can pretty much max the game out and it works smoothly, but I get hiccups consistently every 15 secs for some reason that goes away when i move closer to recommended, but still runs smooth mostly except for the 15 secs of hiccups. My main problem is I think I should get better FPS than this in Counter Strike as other people Ive mentioned it to ingame regulary see 50+ with this card and all the benchmarks I see for the game suggest I should get better than this even though the game is ATI optomized. Ive checked the BIOS to make sure it was set to 256MB card, I have a designated power cable for it with a 430 Watt max power pack and all my drivers are up to date for it. Any answers to why my card is seeming to be underperforming in both the games or mostly Counter Strike?

Comp Specs:
Intel Pentium 4 3.0 HT GHZ socket T
Kensington Hyper X 1GB ram
2 hard drives, only one powered up
Nvidia BFG Geforce 6800 GT

It might be the power supply, because I run a EVGA 6600GT and I use a 460 watt power supply and get 50-100 fps on Counter Strike: Source. Hope this helps.

my system specs are similar to yours and I was getting hiccups in F.E.A.R. I added another Gb of kingston HyperX Pc3200 to the 1 gb I allready had and no more hiccups.

what kind of monitor are you using? and are you using onboard sound or a soundcard?

Video problems

Hmm. i have the same setup as you, except i have 1.5 Gb of kingston pc3200,
and a 480 watt thermaltake power supply.
one thing i would look at is your monitor. make sure the refresh rate is set to at least 75hz for a crt and 60 for most lcd's. i dont know if your card came with any kind of software to check the temp on your card. or any kind of overclocking features. but if you have it overclocked back it off, and see if you still get the same results.
Good luck :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back