Graphics card problem!! Can't play games!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

domyue

I've got a big problem - my graphics card seems to be not able to handle "Company of Heroes". I've got latest drivers and my PC is a fresh install. The game was successfully installed too.

I basically get VERY grainy colours all the time. If you take a look at the attachments you'll know what I mean. I can't play anything and the fps etc is very poor.

Do you know whats wrong??

Thanks a lot!! :giddy:

Attachments

• DSC00054.JPG
    DSC00054.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00056.JPG
    DSC00056.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC00057.JPG
    DSC00057.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 11
Try and re-seat the video card, and if that doesn't work, you have a defective board :mad:

It used to work fine with some other RPG game and it seems alright on all other applications/tasks I do.

Still think its the motherboard problem??

(i'll try to reseat anyhow)

It's also possible your psu could be going as well. Check out my guide below in my signature, and tell me how many watts you have and amps on the +12V rail.

I reseated graphics card and blew into the slot to try to clear it of dust. Still have same problem. I'm going to get another game to try it out.

These are my details...

Windows XP Home SP2
Motherboard: MSI MS 6743 (865PEM2-ILS)
NVIDIA GeForce 5600
3.4ghz
1gb RAM

Power:
+12V = 22A, 260W
Peak is 400W

Thanks!

oh and btw, when I play videos, I do notice a few pixels are discoloured (they can be red, green, random colours).

Its pretty noticeable. Hopefully it helps with your diagnosis!! haha

Thanks!

I JUST turned Anti-Aliasing to "Application controlled" instead of what it was on before (which was 2X) and it seemed to have removed the problem!

1) Why would the 2X setting cause the problem I had before??

2) Is my powersupply actually OK for my set up??

3) My FPS is now 1.3 ..... How comes ?!?

Thanks again!!

Even though the card will work with Company of Heroes, it's a pretty outdated card for a game like this. That card will just barely squeek by with the game's video settings on low. Company of Heroes is a very graphical intensive application and the 5600 just can't perform up to the standards of a game like this.

That would be better, but it's still slightly old, but should yield better results :) .

Thanks guys!

But you think that the PSU (peak power = 400w) is powerful enough for everything ya??

(gfx, 2HD, 1gb RAM, 3.4 ghz, extra sound card, etc)

because of the fact that that video card does not use much power if that PSU is not going out it should be able to do the job, but u did not give a name for it and a poor PSU is poor.

hmmm my radeon 9600 had a problem before - it would overheat and cut out (thus crashing my PC) under the strain of a game.

I had to blow an external fan on it to play previously!
I should get a new GFX card to be honest...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back