graphics card problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of days ago my display started showing vertical stripes from the moment the computer is switched on. These stripes are of varying colours and tend to change colour/pattern continuously. Inspection of the graphics card (inno3D w/ GEFORECE4 Ti4200) showed that the fan has stopped working so I assumed that the card had overheated and damaged itself. I bought a new card (ST Lab geforce4 mx4000), but unfortunately, this one doesn't work at all! (black screen) This reminded me of the problems I first had when I got this computer: the vendor delivered the PC with a non-functioning video card and then went bust. I replaced the card with the one that has now burnt out and never thought about it again. I'm wondering now though, are there some (well known?) compatibility issues between my motherboard and some graphics cards? The motherboard is ECS 930LR, chipset: SiS645. Bios: American Megatrends 7.00T. I believe it has a 4X AGP slot. My new card (the one that doesn't work) is supposed to be 2X AGP and 4X AGP, so I would have thought it should work.
Any suggestions much appreciated.

regards,

Wessel

Don't know about your new card but your old one most likely isn't damaged. Just clean the heatsink from dust and replace the fan if you can't get it running again.

another problem that I've had that can cause this is a weak 5V on the power supply. I've had two Antec PSs fail with the 5V dropping below 4.7 which is about the voltage where the vertical lines would appear on my video card.
Even a cheap multimeter from Radio Shack should give you an accurate enough measure between the Black (ground) and Red (+5) and Yellow (+12) on a spare drive power connector. Be careful not to short anything out. ;)

Anyone out there?

Tarkus,

It's been a while since your last post, but if you see this, can you please help? I'm a bit of a novice with electricity - is it safe to stick a multimeter into the plugs of a power supply while the thing is connected to the mains supply?

I assume it is, but I need to know if there's anything I'm misunderstanding since I don't want to kill myself!

Thanks.

M

I have the same 2 video cards and im running them together .

I am running them at the same time even though I do not have an option in my bios for agp/pci . Only 1 or the other . but it doesn't matter if I have it det up as agp in bios or as pci in bios it dtill recognizes that they are both there. I had to download Nvidia'd 97.23 i believe it was called driver dated -Jan 15, 2007- update then they both run at the same time . but just like you I would like them to run combining the bits for the total bombined graphic bits but i cant seem to figure that out at all. and the last thing I would like to do is f-up my computer my overclocking . its not true that only the 6800 has sli I have a mx4000 sli with gpu clocking on it I got almodt a year ago . so if anyone else thatknow's what they are talking about please help me otherwise i might just stick with what ive got going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back