Graphics card upgrade for Dell 4700?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok...I have this piece of crap computer. It's a dell 4700 525 MB ram, and stock graphics card. Intel family chipset. I want to get a graphics card (under $100) that can work with my pc and play Battlefield 2. Please help!!!

Matthew-

Please use proper thread titles from now on. Thanks.

The 4700 is PCIe. For your price range you can get a 7600GT and run with your stock psu. I would seriously think about getting more ram, though. At least another 512mb.

Found out

I found out that a Nvidia GeForce FX5500 is within my price range and can support Battlefield 2...Now all I need to know is if it can fit my 4700, anyone know?

Nothing wrong with the Dell Dimension 4700. It has always been a decent, reliable machine. However, a good NVidia PCI-e video card such as 7600 or 8600... with an upgrade of the power supply to drive it.... Change to two modules of 1 GB memory... and you will be set.
Be sure to keep the cpu fan and heat sink free of dust and hair.
Do not change the video card by much unless you also replace the power supply, because it isn't designed for a big advance.

the fx5500 is an AGP card and it is also quite old. I am not aware of a PCI-E version - they might, but check.

We would need the service Tag Number to get into the specifics... I hav several 4700's here and with different video setups.

Apologies for hijacking this thread slightly, but I've also a question on upgrading the gfx card in a 4700.

I recently replaced the original X300SE with this Radeon X1650XT but have been experiencing intermittent problems. Initially the PC would lock up during gaming, since I upgraded the drivers I now get the "VPU recover" error message box instead. It seems to happen fairly randomly, although once it happens once will often happen twice more in the next 30 mins or so, after which I have to reboot.

I think I've ruled out incompatibility with any other components, and I ran for a while with the side of the case off which I presume would help avoid overheating issues, so I'm wondering could it be that my PSU can't handle this card?

I might have a chance to swap it for a 7600GT, but if people think it's not a PSU issue I'll probably RMA the card.

[edit] Should have mentioned, apart from replacing the CD drive with a DVD burner, the machine is as it came, so has the standard PSU. I did add 2GB of memory, but even after I removed that still had the same issue, so that's not the problem.

Yes. Generally you have to replace the Dell power supply in the 4700 if you install a more sophisticated video graphics card. Luckily that is one of the models that will tolerate a much better quality power supply ATX or ATX12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back