i just bought a nvidia 6800 and i cant get it to work! Its 128mb ram. I have:

Compaq Pesario 6430nx
XP Home Edition SP2
AMD Athlon XP 2800+@2.13Ghz MMX,3DNow
Phoneix-Award Bios v6.00PG
512mb PC2700 Corsair Ram
Directx 9.0c
S3prosavageDDR(32mb)

After I disabled the onboard i switched the bios to AGP. I put the card in and boot up windows i got to the desktop and found new hardware but almost everytime i try to install the drivers the screen goes black or comp restarts. If the drivers do install the screen will either go black after boot screen or the desktop will be back in the VGA standard and the windows wont have installed the card. Tried all kinds of drivers any help would be good just about read to break the thing. Almost forget this the first card i've ever install kinda new to it maybe im doing something wrong or maybe its just fried :knock:

:wave: Hello & Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

It looks like you could be having a driver problem...

Go back into the bios, turn the onboard graphics back on. Turn off the computer and take the new card out. Now boot into windows.
Uninstall the drivers for the onboard graphics. Go into the control panel and use the "Add/Remove Hardware" dialog to uninstall the card from the system. Restart the computer and switch the onboard graphics off in the bios. Now power off and install the new card again. You should no longer have a problem installing the new drivers...

If you do, try downloading a new set of drivers (pref on someone elses machine as yours will be very limited in resolution choices until after they're installed) and install them instead..

wont work!

Thnx for the advice man

i've tried that alot of times with almost every xp driver nvidia has i just dont understand why it wont install?

Ok, so you have uninstalled the old drivers properly?

Try using Detonator RIP and Detonator Destroyer to make sure there aren't any files lying around causing the error...

Also, it wouldn't hurt with a check of the regsitry to see if there are any links lying around to the drivers of the old onboard graphics...

still cant get it

good suggestion but its a no go. Its weird because when the system reboots it will have artifacts and distortions in the screen then it'll freeze before i can do anything maybe the cards fried?

just a thought

do you know how to get rid of vgasave and use the standard VGA driver. I think this might be the problem?

nice try

it just aint workin i cant get rid of the vgasave and put on the standard vga. the card is being found but the drivers will not install screen just goes black if you can think of anything else id appricate it :)

I had the same problem with my 128 meg 6800 and found that the motherboards built in soundcards ac97 driver was conflicting with the nvidia graphics driver so used ac97's own sound driver (as opposed to nvidias nforce 2) and no more problem!

what driver?

What driver are you talkin about vega. Maybe that is whats wrong with mine hope to get it fixed soon gonna send it back today if i cant :mad:

Try updating all the drivers for the onboard utilities... And if there is a newer version of the BIOS available, update and see if it works...

And contact the manufacturer of the card to see if they know what could be the cause...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back