Graphics cards and pci slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackento

i have a type 2 PCI slot, can i use this to put a better graphics card on my laptop??? wats the difference between the types??

my current card sux, and i need a better one to play battlefield and such so pleeeeeeez, any help would b excellent

What model laptop do you have? 99%(Guessing) of laptops cant have their graphics cards upgraded. Best thing you can do on a laptop to help gaming is to upgrade the system memory if you have 512MB or less. The PC Card slots you mentioned are for added connections(USB, ethernet, etc..) and not designed for graphics, though you can get sound cards in that form.

Do you have the full model number? They are usually all numbers and in the form xxxx-xxxx. Just from searching I came up with an Acer 3680 which is a Celeron powered laptop(not good for games at all) and it takes DDR2 which is good(very cheap). Here is a link to a memory upgrades from Crucial http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Aspire%203680 Without knowing the full model number I dont know what the laptop has for video but I would guess some form of Intel integrated if it does have a Celeron CPU in it.

Hello, mackento, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a look at the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your question, you almost certainly will not be able to upgrade your graphics card in a laptop. The only things that you can change are the cpu and the ram, improving both of which will help your graphics performance. If your graphics is using your system memory (which it most likely is) then you could increase the amount that it uses which would also help, but you would need a god amount of system ram so that you have enough memory to run the game.

Laptops are not made for gaming unless you have something like a Dell XPS. Especially ones like yours, they are made for light use and not hardware intensive applications like games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back