Graphics issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelly30uk

Hi, im having problems with my new graphics card. Its a Winfast A6600 GT TDH CARD. Its installed with no installation errors and all the drivers are updated. It has weird glitches whilst playing. I play the Sims 2 and it has Flashes of the game appearing in the wrong places, bands of grass in the sky, the characters have 'holes in them'. It looks like theyre 'shattering' or 'disintregrating'. There are strips,bands,triangular shaped graphics out of place. It still plays but obviousley this is causing a problem in the look of the game. Anyone got any ideas?

Patch the game. Also, check the NVIDIA Control Panel's temperature monitor to see if the card is overheating. A temperature of over 50-55C at the desktop indicates overheating. Also, make sure you install the latest drivers for the card from NVIDIA's website.

Also just try the obvious things like checking the card is seated right. Newer video cards require a 4 pin power cable to satisfy the power needed by the card, so just make sure that is pluged in correctly.
cheers
Hynesy
BTW Welcome to Techspot shelly30uk.

checked

Ive checked its in properly and my monitor isnt over heating. I have all the patches for the game from ea games website.I dont know what else to do.

when you load the game, change the graphic settings to lowest for the time being, play it for a while and see if the glitch repeats itself with those settings.

Use this online checked timeparadox posted in other thread http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest
that will tell you is your computer is up to the job.
cheers
Hynesy:wave:

Done that

Ive already played the game with all the graphics and performance settings on the lowest and it still does it. I think i may end up changing back to the old graphics card unfortunately!
Thanks for the help...any more ideas still welcome.

Try the link I posted above, if it says your computer can handle it, try your old video card if that works then you have to look at the possibility of a faulty video card.
cheers
Hynesy

My computer can handle the game, ive just tested on that link you gave...thanks. I know my old video card works fine as ive been playing up til now on it. This new one just made the picture sharper and more 3d. I think ill have to put the old one back in!

Well, overheating, inadequate power and bad seating all usually cause artifacts. But in your case, all three are negated. That only leaves the possibility of a bad card. Try the card in another machine and see what happens.

You bough a new GeForce 6600? Those cards are two generations old and are discontinued. But chances are that the card is dead so send it back.

It wasnt a new graphics card...just new to me!, a friend of my partners had it in his comp and played games such as Halo, he bought a new one and sold my partner the graphics card mentioned...dont think he wouldve sold us a dud...unless somethings happened inbetween him taking it out his pc and us getting it. It came in the box so i cant see it being stored badly...but i dont know! Ive put my old one back in now! Going to look into buying a brand new one thatll handle the Sims 2 with fantastic graphics! Ant ideas? ThANKS

Yeah, I agree with nickc, if you are looking for a card that plays sims 2 well, then the 6800gt is pretty good, I am using a NX6600GT which is a high performance version, but none the less still jsut a 6600 runs Sims 2 at max graphics and it runs fine.

In my opinion how can a older card be better than a newer one?? I am still sorda new to these things and still learning, so if the older one is better please explain.

And BTW a 6800 is not chepear than a 7600 GT. I found a OEM 6800 GT on newegg for $92. The 7600 GT is $75 after rebates. $90 without. So really not much difference.

hi, yeah...at present ive put my old card back in, which is good, but can be slow. Its a Geforce fx 5200. Ill ahve a look at that site and see whats on offer and howw much a Geforce 6800 gt is:)

A 6800GT for Sims 2? Overkill IMO. A 6600GT GDDR3 or a 7300GT GDDR2\GDDR3 would be plenty, along with a gig of RAM if you don't have that much yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back