Graphics problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinalApoka

Hi there, this is my first post here, sorry that I start off with a problem but Im desperate to fix it.

I just bought a new computer (1/2 a month ago).

2X Video Card:Geforce 8600GT 512MB PCI-E DDR3 **X2** SLI Enable
4GB DDR2-800 RAM
500GB Western Digital/Seagate SATA-2 SE 7200rpm (250GB X2 as Raid 0)
AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ Dual Core processor
NVIDIA nForce 590 motherboard.
WinXP 32bit SP2
500W PSU

I bought this with the thought that I could play most games at high settings.
The system seems to run fast and well with no obvious problems. The exception is when I play quite high demand games like Oblivion (but not only that game). After a while playing the monitor starts showing small horizontal lines that flicker about the screen. The longer I play the more seem to show up. The only way in which I have found to fix it is by restarting the computer. (When I exit the game the problem remains)

I don't think its the monitor because I used my old 5yr CRT monitor with the computer which had the same problem before I used my new LCD monitor.
I recently updated my display driver and that had no effect, turned off SLI briefly and found that the graphics went bad earlier. The only other thing that I could think of that might be the problem is overheating components.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Cheers.

Overheating may cause this, as will insufficient power. What PSU do you have? Post information from the PSU sticker.

Sorry had to go away for a while for a school trip and couldn't get PSU info at that time.

Not exactly sure what info on the PSU you are after but heres everything that I think could be useful.

EXCEL 500WCE

INPUT: OUTPUT:

115VAC +12V 22A. MAX.
12A MAX. +5V 38A. MAX.
60Hz
230VAC +3.3V 30A. MAX.
6A. MAX. -5V 0.5A MAX.
50Hz -12V 1.0A MAX.

I have opened up the case and I am running a fan into the side. Problem still continues though. The fan is weak as it is mainly meant as a fan heater and doesn't reduce the temperature too much I would imagine.

Also I noticed that the output of the hot air is mainly though the PSU itself (fan sucking in air at bottom of PSU and out the back of the case). It appears I don't have a fan at the back of the case solely for cooling which would be crucial I would say.

Get a new PSU from Antec, Thermaltake, OCZ, Corsair, Enermax, Fortron FSP, PC Power & Cooling or CoolerMaster. Your current one is probably not enough.

Hi there, got an update, recently upgraded my PC's PSU to a 750W Thermaltake (wanted to be on the safe side) and got in some additional fans so I didn't have to worry about using my external fan. The problem is still there however. I have also recently found a game which I have played for a total of 18 hours so far that has not given me any problems whatsoever and it is fairly graphic intensive which I think might be useful to know.

Do you have all the appropriate patches for the game?? Do you have the latest NVIDIA drivers? Do any other games produce the same result?

Every game I play is up to date. I have the latest drivers (from NVIDIA and they are the specific ones for my graphics cards). I play multiple games and there are problems with at least 8 of them (2Moons is the game I mentioned in last post which doesn't have any problems). Certain games are worse than others, GTA:SA produces the problem almost immediately and other games like Oblivion have areas where the problem starts to occur very fast and badly and others which don't effect it at all.

Then the problem is most likely your card. It's a bad one and you're gonna have to either return it if it's still under warranty or get a new one. :(

Both cards are still under warranty so it shouldn't be a huge problem in terms of money. Anyway, big thanks for helping me out :D. When I turn SLI off I get the problem faster, which would indicate to me that the 1st one is the problem one.

Lines across the screen usually means the gfx card is overheating, when you run in single card mode the one card works almost twice as hard so the lines show up faster (more heat produced). If you turned down the resolution and settings to medium I bet you can run those suspect games for a lot longer with no probs. Are these 8600Gt's stock OC'd or something?

Anyhow it does seem to be at least one or both cards overheat too easily and thus have some sort of hsf issue. It's prob best to rma them for replacements while they're still under warranty.

Not sure if theyre overclocked versions. The top one was mostly hotter when I had the case opened (presumably because it was under more strain and also a worse position heat-wise). They seem to be running at about 50 degrees celcius according to the digital display on each card. I'll talk to company I got the system from about warranty/problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back