Graphics Problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

izx2

Hi. I have some problems with my Sony VAIO RS-210 Desktop Computer. First of all, it was included with an onboard 82845G Intel Graphics card. It eats up my 512 MB memory which I totally hate and despise. So I went to eBay and I decided to buy a GeForce FX 5500 PCI 256 MB. I had to get PCI because I didn't have an AGP slot. That's when I got totally pissed. I wanted to get a ATI Radeon 9800 or something but the computer didn't have an AGP slot. Before I bought it, I researched how to disable the onboard 82845G on the Sony site but it says this:
Quote:
How to install another video card in the desktop computer.

Follow this procedure to install another video card in the desktop computer.

WARNING: There is a risk of personal injury. To avoid electrical shock, always turn off and disconnect the computer from power before opening the case.

WARNING: There is a risk of hardware damage. To avoid electrostatic discharge damage, a wrist strap must be used to discharge static electricity while in contact with the internal components of a computer.

WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. Backup all important data before installing additional hardware to the computer

Turn the computer off.
Disconnect the computer from power.
Remove the cover from the computer.
Install the new video card according to the manufacturer's instructions.
IMPORTANT: Only a PCI video card may be installed in the computer.

Turn the computer on.
NOTES:

When a PCI video card is installed, both video adapters will be available at this time for multiple monitor support.
The onboard video adapter that shipped in the computer cannot be disabled in the system BIOS. Because of this, the add-on PCI video card can only be used as a secondary video card, and not the primary one.
Installation and driver support are provided by the video card manufacturer.

I want it to be my PRIMARY card, not the secondary plus I don't have an AGP slot. (I even double checked and it was too late anyway because I bought a PCI graphics card.)
So I came upon this site: http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread24595.html
It says I can allocate the System RAM so the onboard graphics can get no memory.
I went to the BIOS to check if there was a setting there to "allocate" the System RAM. I got nothing. Is there software that can disable the onboard card or is there a hidden setting on the BIOS or something.
CAN YOU HELP ME?

first off, you should realize that your sony vaio, like all vaios, is an oem build and offers very limited flexibility. consequently, it is very possible that you will not be able to successfully run your desired setup. try this anyways:

if you can't turn off the onboard video via a jumper or bios setting (which is flat-out p.o.s. design), you are going to have to uninstall the onboard graphics card in an attempt to have windows recognize the fx5500 as your primary video adapter. good luck.

if you haven't bought the fx5500 yet or can still return it, i strongly advise you to not purchase it as you would be best off getting a whole new non-oem computer a, even if it means you'll have to wait much longer. the thing is that adding the fx5500 would deliver a very limited performance return. in a nutshell, your vaio is simply not worth the extra trouble/money.

my advice is to get rid of that vaio rs-210 as soon as you can. its value is going to do nothing but go further down. get yourself a home-built machine or a custom job from a local technician to aviod problems like this in the future.

What happens when you disable the onboard graphics in windows? Sony might disallow you to disable it in the bios, but they can't control what you do in windows.

You'll still loose memory to the onboard card, but at least you should be able to game on the new card.

note, I'm not sure if this will work, as I've never had the problem, but I'm just trying to come up with a possible solution for you.

zephead said:
first off, you should realize that your sony vaio, like all vaios, is an oem build and offers very limited flexibility. consequently, it is very possible that you will not be able to successfully run your desired setup. try this anyways:

if you can't turn off the onboard video via a jumper or bios setting (which is flat-out p.o.s. design), you are going to have to uninstall the onboard graphics card in an attempt to have windows recognize the fx5500 as your primary video adapter. good luck.

if you haven't bought the fx5500 yet or can still return it, i strongly advise you to not purchase it as you would be best off getting a whole new non-oem computer a, even if it means you'll have to wait much longer. the thing is that adding the fx5500 would deliver a very limited performance return. in a nutshell, your vaio is simply not worth the extra trouble/money.

my advice is to get rid of that vaio rs-210 as soon as you can. its value is going to do nothing but go further down. get yourself a home-built machine or a custom job from a local technician to aviod problems like this in the future.
Zephead, you are right but I dont think I can afford it right now. I'm a kid, ok? Do you think my parents are gonna let me buy a whole new computer or parts for a customs one just for a graphics problem? I am just gonna stick with what I am going to have: nVidia GeForce FX5500. When I become 18 or when I get out, I already planned about getting parts for a custom computer. Like a Pentium D (or whatever is new then), newest nVidia or ATi card, and everything that would make an awesome performance computer then... So I can't wait until I go to adulthood.

spending more money on a pci graphics card makes even less sense, given your last post.

you don't need a new computer just for a graphics problem. you need a new one because your current machine cannot accommodate your computing needs. you could even use certain parts from your existing computer to make a new one, thus reducing your need-to-buy list. i don't know where you live or your age but none of that changes the fact of the matter.

PS > have you considered selling the vaio to (help) pay for a new machine?

I'm not planning to just play games on a computer but I want it to keep up to what's available. I know that technology is always changing. One day I get a RS-210, the next month I get a better computer for a less price. :mad: Well, that's cool and all... but it gets me pretty mad. I saw an awesome computer for about $1200 computer with everything.... I mean everything: Pentium D, nVidia FX6800 GT, 2 GB RAM 533 MHz, 200 GB hard drive, DVD recorder, and all the stuff you need for a performance computer. :eek: I just makes me wanna hit myself... I could've waited for a month and get this computer... :haha: I'm so mad, it's pretty funny. :unch: Oh yea, I forgot, it's not my computer as it is my parents. They bought it, not me. I wish it was mine, then I could see it on eBay and get at least 500 bucks oo something. Well, I'm gonna keep the monitor though... :eek: Thanks! (zephead, MrGaribaldi) :( I still don't know how to disenable it though, so I'll be waiting for someone to help me.

to disable the onboard graphics card once you've installed the pci card:

hold down the windows key and press the pause key. in the system properties windows you get, select the tab labeled 'hardware'. hit the 'device manager' button. click the little plus sign next to the 'display adapters' label. on the list, you should see a display adapter named 'intel d845' or something along those lines. right-click it and select 'uninstall,' then proceed with your uninstallation. good luck.

all in all, i think that attempting to add said card to your rs-210 is a bad move for a person in your shoes, but it's your decision. hope all works out well though!

Thanks! I'll try it and if it doesn't work out then I'll reply. If I don't you should assume that it worked. Again thanks! :D Where's the "pause" key? Oh well, I still know: My Computer (Right Click)--> Properties ---> Hardware ----> Device Manager -----> Display Adapters ---> Intel 82845G... (Right Click) ---> Unistall. I hope it works... :blackeye:

No, don't uninstall it. That way it'll just be found again.
Disable it. That will stop windows from allocating resources to it...

Couldn't you just disable the on-board video in device manager? Does your new vid card show up in device manager? If so, it should be as simple as disabling one and enabling the other. Not sure if you will lose the allocated ram though. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks! It might not work because I've seen on forums that they've tried this but it didn't work, but I'm pretty sure it'll work.

Hey guys... a problem came up. I went to Device Manager and disabled and then uninstalled it. Then I restarted it and the it was all 4-bit but then the Add Hardware Wizard always re-installed it again and I could'nt stop it. I tried going to BIOS but then there is no setting for onboard graphics, so I don't know what to do. :confused: :( Please help me!

Hello I am suffering similar difficulties w/ a pci video card and wonder if someone can help me.

I have an old Emachines T1855 and when my emachines monitor burned up i think it fried the onboard video card b/c it now displays a fuzzy unrecognizable mess when booted up.

I tried to replace with an old PCI video card a friend gave me and although the Bios immediately recognized it and disabled the integrated video, once the machine gets to windows all I see is a blank screen on my monitor. (The monitor displays the boot up process fine)

I don't think there is a jumper for this on my motherboard.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks much.
-anpo

anpo - when the machine finishes posting, immediately press f8 and select 'safe mode'. then uninstall the old card from device mamager and reboot into normal mode.

izx2, try doing what MrGaribaldi suggested. Disable it but don't uninstall it.

Thanks guys! Everything works except the video. I mean it "works" but it is very bad quality. Even my integrated crap worked better than my new graphics card... I'm sure it can be solved because it works better in games and everything else but why not video? :dead: Please help!

what software/games/media formats is the performance unsatisfactory? please be more specific in describing where/when the problems occurr, and what the image looks like.

Another Question!

Ok, I have a new problem that I need some help on.

On my old celeron 850 with the fried integrated video card and the new PCI video card, the machine will boot into winxp in normal mode without a problem but the device manager cannot find the appropriate drivers for it online. As it was an old card that a friend just gave me; I certainly have no software for it. This is minor problem #1

I reformatted and installed winxp on a 5 GB partition; again no problem but device manager cannot find appropriate driver.

Now I wish to install Fedora Red Hat on the unpartitioned space. I have a set of fedora image disks that I have successfully used before in the exact same situation: dual boot from single harddrive, Winxp already existing and empty unpartitioned space available.

The problem is when I boot the first Fedora disk I get as far as pressing enter to install the graphical based version and then the computer freezes at the next screen with vertical lines distorting linux's the screen. I suspect this is an issue w/the new graphics card; This is the main problem, #2. Can anybody help?

I thank you much in advance.
-anpo

Hey anpo, who is the manufacturer? (nVIDIA, ATi, etc.) Maybe you could go to the website and find a driver. Are you sure it didn't include with a CD? And I have no idea about #2. :confused:

izx2-
The card appears to be STB Systems Horizon 64 1.0. The only drivers out there are for Win 95 best I can tell.

I don't even really need it to work that well in Windows; I'm more concerned with getting Fedora installed...

Do appreciate the suggestions though.
-anpo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back