graphics probs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a HP zv5105
specs are

celeron 2.8
Ati 9000 igp
512 mb ram

i read up on the graphics card and it got alot of good feedback.. However when i try to run games it doesnt work.....it lags badly....NFSU,True crime,Hitman Contracts.......

I was wondering if there is some mode to switch on for better frame rate because its hardly getting any! I know my friend has an Nvidia and it has a setting u have to choose on startup for gaming...
please help
thanks

Welcome to TechSpot

oscxj220 said:
Ati 9000 igp

i read up on the graphics card and it got alot of good feedback
Good feedback three years ago? That card is old and not fast for today's games.

This is an old card granted. But is there any software running in the background like virus checkers which could cause the system to slow?

As said above, you should not expect the best performance from that card with todays games, as most are very demanding, of even new cards. You could probably buy an inexpesive card and see a lot of difference.

But you might take a look in the Control Panel in you video settings, and lower some or all of the settiings you find there to the lowest they will go. Set AA and AF to off, VSync to off, do the same for the ingame video settings plus set the video resolution to 800x600. Also look at your audio settings in the game and set them to the minimum. If any of this helps, you can then try raising some of the settings for better quality until you start having problems again.

And as said in the above post, make sure you don't have any background programs running, like your browser.

I just bought the laptop a week ago..... I have no idea why its slow..... i have a 3 year old laptop that runs these games better and it has less video memory..

Radeon 9000!!!! I used to have one of those, seriosly, get a new one, they were budget cards when they were new, definetly not up to modern gaming. Get something like the 9800 Pro, thier about £130 and are kick but

Two biggest problems are

celeron 2.8 Not known for gamming
Ati 9000 igp and a very old card

You can try upgrading the card but this might be hard with it being a laptop you can increase the video memory in bios. Have you tried that yet???

I don't believe you can increase video memory in the bios for a Radeon M. I think you're pretty much stuck where you are. Disabling AV might not be worthwhile if your performance is that bad. What you probably want to make sure of is that AA and AF are turned off - both at the driver level and within each game's settings. Also, make sure your drivers are up to date by going to your laptop manufacturer's website and getting the newest available.

Not sure either but I found this about that card

16 MB to 128 MB of main memory configurable as display memory

oh its a laptop

Laptops are not known for their gaming efficiency, their smaller so the chips have to be underpowered to keep heat down. The only way to get a gaming laptop that'l last abou 1 1/2 years is to spend almost £2000, which not many people have to burn. Only a couple of companiees like alienware allow you to change graphics cards, so with a laptop you can (mostly) not upgrade at all. If its gaming your looking for, get a desktop, look around and you can get great ones for about £1500 from Whisper Computers, Spiffingdeals etc. Avoid Dell and Alienware, both because high-ends on them are easily £2000+ (sometimes up to £3000), the former also because its not very good looking, the latter because it makes a hell of a lot of noise. If your on the move a lot, get one of those smaller shuttle PC's, they can let you upgrade (to a certain extent, but its more difficult cos of small size), give full power and are small enpugh to moved around at will. Apologies for the length of this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back