graphics/resolution settings...HELP...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLx/P

My in-laws have a computer they are convinced suites their needs and that nothing is wrong with it. Its only about 10 years old. Problem is it only runs in 16 color and I can not change the resolution. I tried updating the drivers to no avail. I also tried putting a new video card in. Nothing...it still does not work right. The PC has like a 800 meg hard drive with a 233 processor. I am trying to convince them to buy a new PC....maybe use the old one for a boat anchor or something......any ideas would be most helpful.

You put in a new video card, and still couldn't change the colour setting?
That you can't change the resolution (to any higher) could be due to the monitor, but that shouldn't affect colour settings...

Which video card did you try?

As for getting a new computer... In which country do you live? "south east" doesn't make it too easy to find prices for you...

But you should be able to get a nice new system for a couple hundred $... (It won't be top of the line, but still quite a lot faster than what you've currently got..)

What are you going to use it for? (That'll help us find the deal most suited to your needs...)

Its not the monitor. I hooked it up to my laptop and it works fine. This is my mother and father in laws computer not mine. Looks like they are going to forget about fixing it and buy a new one. They looked at a HP last night. (2 gig processor, 80 gig HD, 15 flat panel monitor, around $899 I think)

Still wonder why I was unable to change the settings in the old one though. Isn't there on board graphics on the mother board? I tried updating the drivers, but kept getting a message that the 'best' driver was already in use.

The card I put in the old one was from another computer of the same age. It worked in the computer I removed it from.

Quite strange...

You say that the old motherboard had video onboard?
If so, did you remember to disable it before you installed the other videocard?
If you didn't, it would explain why windows claimed the "best" driver was installed...

When windows comes up with a message saying the "best" driver is installed, you can allways force it to use another driver...
(How depends on the OS, but it's along the line of "Use other driver instead (specify)"....)

That deal doesn't sound too bad for a prebuilt mainstream computer... But I'd suggest they'd take a look at Dell...
Imo, they're one of the better pre-built mainstream system builders...

Thanks much, I will try that just to satisfy my own curiosity. I didn't diasble it before I installed the video card. The OS is Win98 SE.

Thanks, again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back