GRUB Configuration on PC104 card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Didou

I'm running Linux (BusyBox) on a PC104 card. The machine consists of a MediaGX 300mhz CPU, 128mb of Ram & a 64mb flashdisk on a flash card reader ( accessible through hdc ).

I use the GRUB prompt to launch Linux with the command : kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdc1 rw init=bin/sh then boot.

I'm trying to get GRUB to launch automatically but no matter how I modify menu.lst, I still get the prompt at boot.

Here are the contents of the menu.lst file :

timeout 10

default 0

fallback 1

title ibot linux based OS
root (hd2,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdc1 rw init=/bin/sh

Any ideas ?

Does GRUB actually use that boot.lst you are editing? For example if you change the title line, do you see it changed in the GRUB menu?

The fallback entry in this case is faulty and useless BTW.

Are the hdc1 and bin/sh entries absolutely correct?

The hdc1 ( the card reader is detected as secondary master ) & /bin/sh are good, that I'm sure of.

When I get to the GRUB prompt, what command shows the menu entries ?

You are supposed to see the menu.. You get the prompt only when something is very wrong.

Looks like GRUB doesn't find its configuration files. You need to reinstall it in the proper MBR. E.g. "grub-install /dev/hdc" to put it in the flash MBR.

Seems I got it working now.

When I got to the GRUB prompt, I launched setup then :

root (hd1,0)

install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd1) /boot/grub/stage2

& on reboot, busybox was launched. I now get prompted to hit enter to "activate" the command prompt & that's what I'm trying to get rid of now.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back