Half Life 2 Problems! Overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am quite new to the forum, so please bear with me.
OK, so when i'm using my computer for normal usage (i.e. surfing the net) it works great but when I try to play Half-Life 2, after 5 minutes it either resets my computer or freezes and plays looping sounds. I got my computer in September of 2004, when I first got HL2 (release) it worked great, but now it doesn't work. I've tried updating all my drivers/BIOS and I've reformatted my computer and still no go! I've gone to Steam's troubleshooting site and I found this: http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cg...nNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1 and I did every step it suggested and it still didn't work!!
I then began to think that this could be a hardware problem, so I felt the heatsink on the video card and I burn't my finger, I looked even closer and my fan on the heatsink didn't work!!
So, with all that said, what do you think is the problem? Is it the broken fan or is it a software issue?
Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Computer Stats:
Motherboard: Asus K8V-SE Deluxe
CPU: AMD Athlon64 3000+
HDD: WD Caviar SE 80GB IDE / 7200RPM ATA100 w/ 8MB Cache
PSU: RaidMax 420w
RAM: 512 MB
Soundcard: SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS
VideoCard: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128M
TV Tuner: ATI TV Wonder Pro
DVD Drive: Lite-On ATAPI 52X CD-R / 32X CD-RW / 52X CD-ROM / 16X DVD-ROM Drive

You definitely need to fix the broken fan on the video card. Don't play your game until you do or you may do permanent damage to the card.

Get a new fan ASAP, although you may have already done some damage to the vid card the chips can die quite quickly when they are not cool enough so be prepared to get a new vid card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back