Half Life 2/Video Card Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatzu

Hello to all!

I have just recently bought a new computer, and everything seems to be up and running just fine. I installed all the drivers/apps that came with the new computer and d/l'ed new video drivers for my card. (Geforce 6600GT)

After all that was done, I decided to install some games. Half Life 2, and World of Warcraft. When trying to run Half Life 2, I make it all the way to the selection screen, where you select to "Play Game, Load Game, etc." After selecting Play Game, I get the Half Life 2 logo, and make it about 25 seconds into the intro-movie. After that, my monitor totally blacks and and goes into standby mode, with no way to come back out. I've read on other websites with people having the same error, but no advice on how to fix it.

With my World of Warcraft, I'm able to play for about 10 minutes before my computer decides to reboot on me, and I have no idea on how to fix this either.

I've tried uninstalling my video drivers and reinstalling them. (3x) I also read a page about monitor refresh rates. My current resolution is set at 1024x768, with a 100 hertz refresh rate. (Max)

None of those options were able to solve my problem. I have no idea what else there is to do, so I'm hoping that someone here could please have an answer. Thanks in advance.

Here is my complete computer setup.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Asus K8N-E Deluxe Manufacturing Model.
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 2800+, ~1.8GHz
1024 RAM, DirectX 9.0c
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT

If any more info is needed, I'll be checking the site often and post as quickly as possible.

What brand and wattage of power supply do you have? And have you tried to lower the refresh rates at all?

I have a 450 watt power supply, and last night i changed my reso to 1280x960 with a refresh rate of 60. I did that to match the computer that is setup right next to my brand new one. My older and much slower computer is able to run HL 2 and WoW just fine for some reason.

Have you installed the newest version of the Detonator-driver for NVidia graphic-cards?
Maybe this could be the problem!

But by the performance of your hardware the games shoud work fine !!
Hmmh, let's see!
One of my friends has a similar prob.
But the game crashes with a mesage like "too less virtual memory".
The same probs he had on all actual games like SW-Republic Commando, HL2, etc...

Now he fixed the prob with a virtual-memory-managment-program.
But don't ask me how it is called ????

I updated my drivers from Nvidia.com, but I'm not sure about detanator drivers or anything like that. If ya could provide a link to them, that would be wonderful.

When I run HL2, I don't any errors at all. My monitor just goes into standby mode, and the game stops. No more sound, no picture, nothing. Because of that, all I can really do is restart my computer.

I'll look into these drivers though, maybe my answer is there. Please post any more suggestions if anything comes to mind! Thanks again! =)

Your monitor goes to standby-mode?
That's a little suspicious!
What monitor do you have (manufacturer, model?).
Your monitor supports higher resolutions than 1024 x 768 as you mentioned.
Your refresh-rate is ok!

Does the 'crash' only happen during the video ?
That sounds like a video-encoder-problem.

That's all suggestions i have at the moment for your case.

P.S.
Hope you all will understand my english!
'Cause I'm from germany....

Yep, I have those drivers.

My monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster997df.

I found some drivers for it, and installed them hoping that might change something. But no luck there. I guess what I could do, is switch out monitors, but I doubt that would change anything.

I also tried installing previous drivers, hoping that maybe there was just a bug in this new update of drivers. No luck there either. This is the strangest bug I've ever encountered. =(

:cool: Hey Gamma7, we have the same birthday, err, day not year.

Anyway, I had a similar problem. My computer would just stop, the monitor would go into standby mode (because there was no messeges being sent to the monitor) because my processor was over heating. Now I have that fixed but I dont know if the same response could be given if your video card is overheating. Maybe your processor? I don't know. Just some suggestions.

i had the same problem, it sounds like the card is overheating. if u r able to take off the cover see if u can touch the card. if its to hot to touch then thats ur problem. good luck!

dual-channel memory

I've had the same problem with Far Cry. I'll play the game for a few minutes (everything runs fine), and suddenly the computer would reboot.

Ultimately, I solved the problem by turning off dual-channel mode for my PC3200 (I have two 512 MB PC3200).

Sorry for the delayed reply, I bought my power supply off of Xoxide.com, its a PowMax 450watt suppy with blue/red LED Fan. Also I gave touching the card a try. No problem there, at least it didn't feel warm or anything to me. Just in case though, i set up a fan right next to my case to blow some cold air into my computer. My case right how has 3 fans along with one attached to the side panel. I'll see what happens in about 15 minutes.

*UPDATE*

Ok, I totally feel like an ***** now. I guess since this is one of the newer video cards, and its been so long since i actually bought something new, I did some inspecting with the card. I never would have noticed it really, if the power supply weren't brought up in previous posts. I found a small power supply plug-in on the back of my card, and once I gave it some juice, it works perfectly now. Sorry for being such a clutz and not noticing it before I posted. Thanks all for the great advice, hopefully someone else will have the same problem and can look here for an easy solution. Thanks again!

This is just to say i am an ***** as well i to have same graphics card as Gatzu and same probs with screen going black. I to had not put a direct power supply to card. Now i can play Half Life 2 and Brothers in Arms road to hill 3.0

Zuke

Ok, I think we need to start an ***** club and I'll be the third member. After trying everything I could think of I came across this thread and realized I had the same card as Gatzu and Bingham and had made the same silly mistake - better than a call to tech support - if they still have such a thing.

:eek: thank the lord that was the problem! cus i just ordered a new comp with almost the same specs as ur comp as in 6600 gt amd proccessor... i nearly shat myself

I have the same problem and my specs are:

2.8ghz p4 processor
1gb ram
geforce 6600GT 128mb

I have a dell standard 250W. Some people were telling me that they could run the 6600GT with the standard dell PSU so I am wondering that even though they say it would work, it actually isn't?

Like without sufficient power it's causing the monitor to shut down into "power save" mode or whatever it is. (Can't turn it back on like the other people in this topic couldn't.)

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back