Halo PC multiplayer issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseM

Alright, i dunno if anyone's going to be able to figure this one out but here goes. Whenever I create a multiplayer game on Halo over the internet noone can see it. I can join all of the games that other people make, but noone ever sees mine. I was trying to play with my friend and we can both join the same game, and I can join his game, but when I create a game he can't see it. What's going on? I've tried searching for answers and believe me this is the last resort.

You need a Microsoft dedicated server I think... because for other games like Halflife and Counterstrike you need servers from the developers to be able to host your game on the net. If you guys are playing LAN ( like if you and him are on computers right next to each other or something ) you can play a local game normaly without a server

Hope I helped =)

Alright, well I'll try that but my friend doesn't have a dedicated server and I can join his games, but whatever. And no we aren't playing LAN we're playing over the internet. Thanks for your help!

I got the dedicated server and when I create a server and then try to join it it doesn't even show up on the list of servers. This is really frustrating because I can join every game that anyone else can but I cannot create my own game!!

I'm going to try reinstalling Halo completely. I think that you cannot run the dedicated server on the same computer you are playing halo.

Alright the same problem still exists, I would greatly appreciate some help here. Whenever I host a game noone else can see it.

I have the same problem, JesseM, i don't know y either and would greatly appreciate it if someone helps us.
@ Jessem, try Bungie.net's forum.

Hahaha JesseM and Razaac, I have had the same problem since forever. Once, I got a DS running... Only once. And I can't host any Halo PC games. And what sucks most is that NO ONE HAS A GUIDE OR TROUBLESHOOTER FOR THIS PROBLEM!!

I want to work out a solution with you guys so we can get back to playing some halo. Hell, if we solve this here I'll host a game for the three of us to celebrate us being able to host games.

With that said, I have one question for the both of you: do you use routers or firewalls? I think that it may be a problem somehow caused by some firewalls or some router's integrated firewalls. I've tried port opening, but nothing seems to work.

If you do use routers or firewalls (or routers with integrated firewalls, like the one I have), then we have something in common.

smae problem huh? I use a router, i disabled firewall but it doesn't work. I don't know how to fix routers. If u host a game after u solve it, i'll join.

Great I already have a great DS set up.

Now, I have my router set up with the firewall disabled, I placed my computer in the DMZ, and I forwarded all the necessary ports. I have even read a thorough walkthrough on how to set up a DS and how to forward ports. However my problem is recurring. I do have one theory that might work though. Have you tried connecting your PC directly to your cable modem? In other words, take the router out of the picture. It doesn't work for me - when I connect directly to the cable modem I lose my internet connection. I think this may be caused by me not using the right type of cable (I am using a straight-thru, not a crossover).

Anyhow, if you're even rustier at networking than I am, ignore the technicals and try plugging your computer directly into the cable modem via network cable and try these steps:
1. Check the internet to see if you're connected (brows more than just your home page)
2. Host a DS with a distinctive name
3. Turn on Halo, turn off all the filters and search by name

Good luck, although even if this does work, and I can get my computer surfing without a router, I would much prefer to continue working until I can get it running with a router (after all, other people in my house use the internet too).

I know what u did wrong. U can't take the router out of the picture. Is there a cable linked to ur internet or r u using wireless? The router must be used these days.

Well, my router is wireless, but my computer is connected via cable. Maybe it will work if I release the routers IP address.

Well, i really don't know what is going on with this issue. Someone says it is something related to dedicated servers, but i don't think so. Anyways, what kind of router is urs?
Adelphia? Belkin?

Hey guys sorry I haven't been on for awhile! Well, I have a DSL router but DSL does not use a modem. I have tried opening ports on my router and disabling firewalls and I get no change.

Also, I think that you cannot run a dedicated server on the same computer that you run Halo on, because the word "dedicated" in the name most likeky means that you have to use a computer that is dedicated only to being a game server. This still doesn't fix the problem because in Halo you shouldn't need a dedicated server, plus I don't have 2 computers.

I think if you fix one probem, you fix the other. I know 100% that you can run Halo on the same computer you run the DS on because:
1. I've done it bofore,
2. A lot more people would have the same problem as us if you couldn't.

Now, I think that when I did have the DS running on my comp, I managed to take the router out of the picture. For some reason that is not working for me anymore (which I don't understand)... Anyway, I am reading a book called A+ Exam study or something. I think when I finish I will have an anwer.

I am most definately not creating a LAN game, even though I should probably try that now that I have 2 computers. Thanks for your help.

when i play halo pc i choose internet and 5 seconds after i join something that looks like a phone jack pops up on the bottom right hand part of the screenand i cant move shoot or talk i can only look around but when i host an internet game it doesnt do it. someone please help i tried this on my laptop but it did the same thing.

The "phone jack" thing is really an unplugged ethernet cable, which means that there is no connection to the server on Halo. It sounds like there is something wrong with your connection like your router doesn't like Halo, or your Windows Firewall is keeping Halo from accessing the internet. What kind of internet do you use? My guess is cable because I've seen similar problems when playing Halo on a cable connection.

Adressing JesseM's question, make sure you aren't accidentally running in devmode or something like that. Also, if you have xp, you'll need to make sure your firewall isn't blocking halo. It will block it by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back