Hard disk not detected

Status
Not open for further replies.
:( I needed help badly!

A computer here in the office suddenly cannot boot. Error shows that Boot disk failed. At first I thought the hard disk crashed. So I take out the hard disk and put it in my cpu as slave just to make sure the hard disk really crashed. But it works. The hard disk is fine.

So I take it back to its cpu but the error still shows. I take out the IDE Cable connected in the CD Rom but the problem still remains. It says there are no Primary Master and Slave. I check the CMOS but it was configured to automatically detect the hard disk.

What shall I do?

If what you say is true (the board no longer detects any drives), then I would suspect the IDE cable or the system board is to blame.

Sometimes there is a setting in the BIOS to enable / disable the IDE channel. If it is disabled, then no drives should be detected.

Other than that, with the exception of misinformation or an error on your part, it sounds like your motherboard is no longer able to detect IDE devices.

If this is the case, you could buy a PCI IDE controller. They come as cheap as $20. Just make sure you purchase one that supports bootable drives.

Perhaps some other people can offer more ideas on what might cause this behavior.

It's the IDE Cable

Your right the culprit is the IDE Cable. I just bought a new one and it works. Thanks for the help! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back