Hard disk problem i think

Status
Not open for further replies.

firelance

hi guys,
my pals got this system i think its amd 1700+..and he recently got a samsung 60 gb HD...and we trid puttin the ati radeon 9600 pro and tried playin doom...
the prob we've noticed is tht theres no prob with the game as such...but when a lot of sounds are involved the game begins to frame.....for eg when a door opens,or when a lot of sounds overlap...and when the game frames, the hard disk light begins to blink.....he never had this problem with his old HD........
he thinks tht theres somethin wrong with the swap memory of the HD or maybe his sound card drivers are not up to date....
maybe its taking too long for info to move from the HD to ram given the fact tht we just have 512mb of ram.....
wht cud it be?

thnx guys

thnx guys

512mb of memory isn't enough,so unless you've changed some settings,it would have done the same thing on his old drive.You're right that it's the swap file that's causing the problem,try freeing up some RAM before playing,or add some more.There's also a nice tweakguide available.DOOM3.

You should also look at your powersupply!
Adding a large harddisk and a power-hungry graphice card to a (most likely generic) weak powersupply could cause the above symptoms.
You would need a PSU with at least 350W to properly support all that.

hmmmmm....
psu with 350W or higher..i suppose most of the good systems come with tht power supply but i'll check it out....\
but why shud the games frame..its just not the doom3......age of empires 3 demo frames even at low screen resolution.....and mafia tht cud be played earlier with an onboard GeF 2 with no issues, has begun to frame with the new HD and ati R9600pro.....
is there some thing he has forgotten during the bios setup.....we checked the dma....its enabled.....
it beats us as to wht cud be wrong........

when your firend got his new hard drive I am assuming he did a fresh install of windows on it. Did he also install the motherboard drivers after installing windows?

well he did install windows but i dont recall him installing the mobo drivers coz maybe it wasnt needed.......
whtever the reason the system is slow...and now i've hit another obstacle.....
the ups has stopped working...one fine day it was working fine but now the moment i switch it on,it switches off.....i've checked the connections and nothing seems to be wrong.....maybe its coz i put in a power hungry video card......

Dude! ... 1 Solution ... reinstall XP and all the required drivers.

The UPS has had too heavy a load ... the battery has discharged too fast too many times. The LA battery inside has a dead cell. Replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back