Hard drive always checks for cosistency

Status
Not open for further replies.

simanta

hi
i have two hard drives with two partition each.one of the drive always check for consistency whenever i boot my pc.this is annoying,can anyone help.

i tried chkdsk /f/r but it stop responding at stage 4 of 5 completing 54% only.what else can i do. can you help!

Windows is doing this because your drive is bad. It knows its bad and it is trying to fix it, but Windows hasn't a clue how. ;)

To verify your drive is failing, you can use one of these diagnostic utilities:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html

If your data is at all important to you, back it up to another drive or media IMMEDIATELY. Complete drive failure could be months from now or in 3 minutes. It's important you get this resolved.

If your drive is under warranty (Minimum drive warranties are a year, usually three years and as much as 5 years for some), you should definitely get in contact with the manufacturer and get a replacement.

Rick said:
Windows is doing this because your drive is bad. It knows its bad and it is trying to fix it, but Windows hasn't a clue how. ;)

To verify your drive is failing, you can use one of these diagnostic utilities:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html

If your data is at all important to you, back it up to another drive or media IMMEDIATELY. Complete drive failure could be months from now or in 3 minutes. It's important you get this resolved.

If your drive is under warranty (Minimum drive warranties are a year, usually three years and as much as 5 years for some), you should definitely get in contact with the manufacturer and get a replacement.

Yep if the drive stops at being checked then definately follow the above advice.

Regards

i tried formatting the drive after it backing up.it worked now FSUTIL DIRTY QUERY G: says the drive is not dirty.anyway thank you guys for your co-operation.however i have another query in the audio and video section, i would be greatful if you can help me out.

simanta said:
i tried formatting the drive after it backing up.it worked now FSUTIL DIRTY QUERY G: says the drive is not dirty.anyway thank you guys for your co-operation.however i have another query in the audio and video section, i would be greatful if you can help me out.

Careful - that thing is probably a time bomb! ;)

fsutil invokes chkdsk which scans for logical problems, not physical problems. The kind of scan that that manufacturer's diagnostic will do is much better and it is worth the ~30 minutes.

chkdsk, if it can, will also flag bad sectors to keep them off limits to Windows. While this works for letting you use the drive temporarily, this problem tends to increase over time and ultimately ends in total failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back