Hard Drive "Click" While Running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savage1701

What would cause a hard drive to "click" while the computer is running? It sounds like the same "click" the drives in my computers make right when they shut down. It sounds almost like the drive or a relay within it is resetting itself, and it drives a Cooler Master liquid cooling unit that shares a molex connector with the drive absolutely crazy.

I know I have isolated the drive, because it is a second drive and when I disconnect the power and SATA cable from it the sounds stop while the system is running. This drive is only about 1 year old, and is a 320GB Maxtor. Can this be caused by a problem other than hardware? I had a drive on another computer that was set to the wrong IDE Mode that was doing this constant resetting of itself, but I don't think I have the settings wrong on this one (Mode 5 DMA if available, BIOS set to auto-detect).

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter.

Loud clicking is usually the sign of a dying hard drive.

Download and run powermax: http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/M...e/DiamondMax Family/Diagnostics&downloadID=22

and let it test your hard drive.

However, my last Maxtor drive also had the clicking and it PASSED the powermax tests. I called up Maxtor and they listened to the clicking over the phone and said it needed to be replaced. They replaced it for me for free. 6 months later, the new one started clicking. As it continuously passed the powermax tests, I just kept using it. Used it for over a year with the clicking then sold the computer. As far as I know it is still working...

The mysterious Maxtor click.

I thought of that, the drive just seemed too new. Guess it's something I'll have to look into. Thanks for the reply.

Wierd... a clicking hard drive lasted that long? lol, Maxtor HDDs will click for years and keep on running! They should make that their slogan or something.

Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Backup all data immediately, and continue to backup until you get it replaced. Hard Drives should NEVER make a clicking noise during operation.

I too have had a Maxtor drive last for several months after the initial click, and it will pass power max tests, but eventually the clicking will get worse. You've really got to RMA that drive now. If you give them your credit card number they will send you a new drive out and that will give you a chance to clone (they have software specifically from Maxtor for this) your dying drive over, then send it back. If you fail to send your drive back they charge you for the new one, but if I remember correctly you have quite a while to send the dying drive back before they charge you.

Ya, that sounds like a good idea to me. Backup your data and just RMA the drive. It's better than having it die on you and losing all your stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back