Hard drive detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

I am sure I should know the answer to this, but my brain doesn't seem to want to work right now.
I have just had to reformat and reload win98 on a computer but it is telling me it is only a 502Mb drive. The bios confirms that it is a 8.5Gb drive.Before the reformat it was correctly identifying the drive.
I had to fdisk before a format because the FAT seemed to be corrupted, I also had to carry out a low level format because my start up disk would not carry one out. When formatting low level it seemed to detect only 502Mb.
Any suggestions you guys??

Try deleting your partition again, then install win98, which should create a new partition for you.

I presume that you used the fdisk that came with 98 and enabled large disk support, but anyways I think if just delete the partition and install win98 everything should work out fine. Also make sure you autodetect your hard drive in the bios screen just to be sure it is configured correctly.

Its been some time since I last used win98, so hopefully my instructions will work fine.:cool:

I had to delete and partition a couple of times but it finally got the message.......thanx Nic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back