Hard Drive doesn't always show up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a computer a few weeks ago and I put in a 120 gig Western Digital hard disk (IDE) from my old computer. The problem is that the new drive doesn't always show up in Windows XP. Whenever I do a cold boot it won't show up. However, as soon as I restart it shows up (ie. appears in My Computer). The drive is always recognized in the BIOS, just not always in Windows. The other drive that I use is a SATA drive and it works perfectly. I never had any problem with it whatsoever when it was in my previous computer. Any idea as to what could cause this and how to fix it?

I say, try to reformat the HD (if you can). You can back it up before you format. It might solve the problem. GOOD LUCK.

right click My Computer..click on Manage..on the right side pane double click on Storage then double click Disk Management(Local)...if that doesn't see your other 120 GB...then i have no idea wat to do....

before looking at a bios update
I would check the cables and force the master jumper if you don't have this set
also recheck the boot order in bios
I don't remember what my MB bios says for boot order
might be good idea to have case open and make it so you can feel the drive when it's in the no read disc condition
feel for a running drive
and you can also test on the 2nd ide port
make it the slave to the dvd or cdrom
oh ya make sure when on 1st ide port as master it's on the very end of cable.
last resort reset cmos and then go into bios and reset to optumim default condition then set you boot order back to the sata raid ,does it show up as scsi???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back