Hard Drive Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renosh

i have a hard drive that failed. its a Western Digital WD1200 IDE.. i wanted to recover some data from it. whenever i started the CPU, you can hear a CLUNK CLUNK sound. so i took it out and switched it to slave and put it to another CPU. still made the sound and it was not finding that harddrive. Is there any way to get the data back, or is it completely dead.

You can get hard drive data recovery, but it`s extremely expensive

You could try wrapping your hard drive in two plastic bags and putting it in the freezer for an hour or so, Then, take it out and reconnect it to your system. This might let it run one last time, just long enough for you to retrieve your data.

Regards Howard :)

I hear at least four hours in the freezer is better but I've never had to try it myself (yet).

howard_hopkinso said:
You can get hard drive data recovery, but it`s extremely expensive

You could try wrapping your hard drive in two plastic bags and putting it in the freezer for an hour or so, Then, take it out and reconnect it to your system. This might let it run one last time, just long enough for you to retrieve your data.

Really, i can put it in the freezer. hehe. i just took it out and left it to cool down. i will try again and see if it will boot up. hopefully it will work..

Bear in mind, you can only usually do this once. You`ll need to have your backup plans in order, ready and waiting beforehand, as you might not have much time before the drive fails altogether. That`s if it works at all.

Good luck.

howard_hopkinso said:
Bear in mind, you can only usually do this once. You`ll need to have your backup plans in order, ready and waiting beforehand, as you might not have much time before the drive fails altogether. That`s if it works at all.

Good luck.

Thanks Howard and mailpup, for taking time to help me on this issue. Really appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back