Hard Drive Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know alot about PC's but I have more than common knowledge on them. My problem is I have a IDE HD that needs formatted. My PC uses SATA HD connections. I do have IDE ports. I need to know the steps of formatting this hard drive so I can install newer windows on it and install in into a older PC. If I can get some assistance I would much appreciate it. If you need more information let me know. I go out of town almost every week so give me some time to respond. Thanks.

First what you will have to do is tell your computers BIOS/Cmos to boot to CD first, then floppy, then your SATA. You might require special drivers for your sata controller. Anyways, put your windows disk in the CD rom drive and let it boot up to the setup. Once your in, follow the steps shown. If it tells your "Cannot find any hard drives" then you will have to put the Drivers for your Sata Controller on a floppy, and when it enters setup, push F6 to install those drivers so it can recognize them. Windows setup should be able to partition and format the drive for you.

Gavin: maybe think a liitle bit before answering threads?

Breadfan wants to install Windows on an IDE drive, so SATA drivers have nothing to do with anything here.

Now, all hard drive issues aside, you cannot put the Windows installation from one computer to another unless the hardware is fairly similar.

Why can't you install directly on the target machine?

Just my 2 cents.

What I think Breadfan211 is trying to say is that his up and running PC is using SATA HDDs, he would like to connect an IDE HDD to this machine to give it a complete and clean reformat. He would then toss into the other PC and install Windows on it(though he reversed order above). So can we help with the problem of an SATA system not recognizing an IDE HDD ?

I know maybe my mind reading is getting a little out there, can you clarify Breadfan211 ?

You got it. I figured out why it wasn't working. The IDE HDD I have was dead. I am in the process of buying a new IDE HDD. Hopefully going from there but some more insight would be great. Thanks alot. I'll be leaving town this morning for 2 weeks or more. So don't wait up on my replies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back