hard drive not detected recovery console

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've been trying to reformat my hardrive using windows xp recovery console after rebooting from the windows xp cd rom. i consistently get a error message saying that my hard drive can't be detected, even though bios detects my hard drive. any thoughts?

is the drive hooked up via controller card? if so, then when installing XP hit the F6 key to install 3rd party scsi or raid controllers. then when promoted insert the floppy disk that came with the controller or find drivers for that controller card and put them on a floppy. IF NOT hooked up via controller card ( i had this happen to me) then make sure that drive is set to master. The only other thing left would be to RMA the drive if above is not the case or this is a single drive with jumpers set correctly. let me know how it goes.

thanks bishop

unfortunately, i don't have a floppy drive. is there a way to redirect the recovery console to look for drivers on a cd, rather than the floppy drive?

so you are using a controller card?

are you trying to reinstall XP? if so there is no need to use recovery console to reformat just go through regular install and delete old partition and then either create a new one or just install XP on cleaned partition. and do not use quick NTFS use the regular format for NTFS.

well if that is the case you some options. 1: you could possibly change the drive letter of the cd-rom to A: and then when promted switch the disk ( i dont recommend this option, just mentioning it so you know it may be an option)
2: get a floppy drive (like 5 or 10 dollars) and hook it up, then use a floppy for the drivers
3: create a unnattended slipstream XP w/SP2 (and controller drivers) CD with nLite (just do a google search for it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back